Rich smell

Milne2204

Looking for some advice. I have a 2015 SQ5 and lately on cold start the exhaust fumes have been really rich smelling. I have also noticed a reduction in fuel consumption. Anyone had the same problem or have any ideas before I put it into Audi? Thanks.

Hello Andy,

All vehicles smell rich on start up, as you would expect them to do, since they are running on an enriched mixture until they get up to operating temperature. If you feel this is indeed different from what it used to be, then indeed there may be something wrong. 

Simple things first:- when did you last change the air filter? 

Lets move from there on a step by step basis.

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth. Thanks for replying. Air filter was possibly replaced in July last year when I bought the car. Richness has definitely become increasingly stronger possibly since October last year to the point that you could not stand behind the car for long on cold set up it is that strong. My fuel consumption has decreased by 3-4 miles per gallon although I realise this will be the case in colder weather although I didn’t think it would be that much. 

Hello Andy,

Thanks for coming back.

Did you by it from an Audi dealership? Possibly not, due to it being slightly too old. 

If yes, forget about the air filter if (could be in caps) they changed it, so worth a no-expense look at it anyway. 

If it didn’t come to you directly from the main dealer, then I would be replacing the air filter with a genuine VAG one anyway as an assurance starting point, incase it either wasn’t changed at all, or if it was, it was repacked with a brand x aftermarket one. 

Have a word with Malcolm in Parts Dept at Aberdeen Audi. Lovely helpful chap, and he may give you a discount! 

Its possible there is something at fault, but always worth starting at base points. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 1/31/2021 at 6:02 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Andy,

Thanks for coming back.

Did you by it from an Audi dealership? Possibly not, due to it being slightly too old. 

If yes, forget about the air filter if (could be in caps) they changed it, so worth a no-expense look at it anyway. 

If it didn’t come to you directly from the main dealer, then I would be replacing the air filter with a genuine VAG one anyway as an assurance starting point, incase it either wasn’t changed at all, or if it was, it was repacked with a brand x aftermarket one. 

Have a word with Malcolm in Parts Dept at Aberdeen Audi. Lovely helpful chap, and he may give you a discount! 

Its possible there is something at fault, but always worth starting at base points. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, thanks for the advice. Changed the filter which was filthy and car now running better although still quite strong smelling on start up. 
Andy

8027AFE4-4D1A-4E58-8D23-36F25EDB3B66.jpeg

Blinking heck Andy, never seen the likes! Just wondering what mileage this c5 year old car has covered, and what sort of service history it has under it’s belt? - or supposed to have.  I would not be surprised if this filter may be the original, or judging by the state of it - may even have seen a previous life in another vehicle! 

If this were mine, I would be seriously looking to get the car comprehensively serviced by a main dealer or trusted local garage (using genuine VAG parts). 

Re. still smelling rich:- the car would benefit from a couple of good runs now that the new filter has been fitted. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, car is a 2015 with 59k and was a one owner with full Audi Aberdeen service history when I bought it last year. Am heading down south on Wednesday so will give it a good run then. Will be due an annual service in July so will put it to my local garage who I’ve used for years and get it serviced properly. Will let you know how it’s running after Wednesday. 

• Like 1