Windscreen Washer Adjustment

ekimj10

One of the nozzles (drivers side outer) needs very slight adjustment so that it at least hits the windscreen. Shocked to discover how difficult Audi has made it, tried with the bonnet half open and a large mirror using a needle to try to insert and then move slightly.

Failed miserably and thinking there must be an easier way like taking the nozzle holder out from the bonnet and do the adjustment, put it back and test. Lucky that it is on the driver's side as access to the passenger side seems more difficult.

Anyone help, particularly how easy it is to remove the plastic nozzle holder, I'm a little wary of of applying too much effort.

Well that was easy, just flip the nozzle holder out, move the nozzle to another direction, refit and re-test. Noted that the nozzles are heated? which I didn't know.

Also whilst researching the problem it appears changing the 3 nozzle original arrangement to a VW 'curtain wash' is a simpl,e upgrade. No experience of the system but it is supposed to be superior and is also fitted to the SEAT models. Prices appear to be pretty cheap so I might have go one day. To be fair my OEM system seems OK to me, just this one nozzle spraying the overtaking cars!

1 hour ago, ekimj10 said:

Well that was easy, just flip the nozzle holder out, move the nozzle to another direction, refit and re-test. Noted that the nozzles are heated? which I didn't know.

Also whilst researching the problem it appears changing the 3 nozzle original arrangement to a VW 'curtain wash' is a simple upgrade. No experience of the system but it is supposed to be superior and is also fitted to the SEAT models. Prices appear to be pretty cheap so I might have go one day. To be fair my OEM system seems OK to me, just this one nozzle spraying the overtaking cars!

Interesting that you say it's a simple upgrade to the "curtain wash" nozzle. I asked Audi Yeovil if it could be done, and they said it couldn't.
Seems they might have been fobbing me off!
Mind you, I couldn't even figure out how to access the nozzles to clear them. Could you describe how to flip the holder out?

With the bonnet fully open, the driver's side nozzles are reasonably handy to insert a trim removal tool ( or even an old credit card or flat screwdriver would do) and the whole item pops out. It can only come out about 4" (100mm) before the plastic water pipes and heater cable stop it. I didn't undo the cable or the water pipe to take it out completely but they look simple enough. Putting it back is simple, just a gentle push and it clips back in.

A replacement nozzle assembly of the 'curtain wash' design was quoted on a Utube clip as part no. 460955987A. That's as far as I got, except for a price off eBay of around £18.00 for (I'm guessing) a non OEM part.

I'll look a bit further into it, I was thinking only doing the drivers side.

• Like 1

This item from Latvia came with that part no

Front Heated Windshield Washer Nozzels Sprayer Jet 4G0955988A For Audi A6 RS6 S7 | eBay

If it is the correct item it is very cheap, almost certainly not OEM but maybe worth a shot.

Its interesting that lots of the VW group have this system but not the A3, unless of course the latest model does.