A7 Purchase Advice

Stirton

Hi guys, any advice you guys can give me on buying a used A7 with 110k miles on the clock?  What questions should i be asking the dealer other than is checking for full service history,  is there any known issues to watch out for?

Also,  I'm trying to work out the difference between the SE trim and the S Line trim, a side by side comparison would be good, anyone know any websites that do this well?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

• 6 months later...

I'm new here but have just done exactly the same this week! I picked up a 2011 A7 SE 3.0tdi Quattro with 113k on the clock.

I was happy with either SE or S-Line spec, but (I think) the S-Line is a bit nicer looking and I prefer the standard 3 spoke steering wheel and seats. However, there's so many options available on these cars that the end spec could be the determining factor between a car with SE or S-Line.

In my case I wanted Quattro and the more powerful 245bhp V6 diesel, the 3 spoke steering wheel (purely for aesthetics) and better seats, the rest of the spec wasn't as much interest to me. Non-quattro are front wheel drive and lower powered.
However, in the end I managed to find one with 20" wheels (with matching 6mm tread Michelin Sport Pilot 4 tyres - decent tyres are a great sign that someone cares for their car), 3 spoke steering wheel, the better MMI 3G+ with googlemaps, BOSE speakers, 4 way comfort seats, headsup display and radar cruise or whatever Audi call it.
Electric folding mirrors would have been nice but, outrageously, they're an option on the A7 so not that common.

Spec aside I would want to see a reasonable level of Audi SH to begin with, mine came up to 80k miles then independent. Oil changes every 15k worst case; gearbox oil changes every 35k-40k miles (very important!). Mine came with one at 37k and one at 80k so I'm doing one immediately (and factored this into my offer) - really, those two things are, in my opinion the most important things first.

As a general rule for all S/H car purchases, apart from the service history, I would check that all the windows have their original OEM etching on the glass to show that they're never been replaced (generally a sign of an accident or theft if missing), open the bonnet and check the paint around the headlight "housing" fixings and front wings to see if the bolts have been previously removed and there's an undercoat colour showing  - could very well be that the car was in an accident and the headlights and/or wings have been replaced.
Of course, try all the toys and functions too!

The reality is that buying S/H is a complete lottery, so some luck is required!