Audi A1 1.4 TFSI (COD) hesitation

Jinjur

Hi all

Following my timing belt query, I managed to go ahead just before christmas and get the timing belt done in Audi for my mums wee A1.

It was cheaper than previously expected as the water pump is not on the same side as the timing belt etc so at least that was something and with Audi doing it, was supposed to give peace of mind.

Now, both mum and me have been on and off shielding and just being plain sensible in between but she was out in it shortly after the belt was done and told me that it felt "odd". This is my mum we are speaking about here, she has driven cars with flat tyres for miles and not noticed. lol

Ultimately, the car was parked up shortly after and not driven (at all) and I told her I would check it once safe to do so before we spoke to Audi.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I managed to steal it from her and I immediately saw what she was talking about.

1st gear seems fine but when you move into 2nd gear and start to move through the rev range, the car sputters a bit under 3k rpm but when it gets to around 4k rpm, it basically hits a wall and splutters through until 5k. Honestly, as a french car driver, it feels like a misfire.

Now, I am always very conscious about driving a car hard when cold but, driving up to around 4-5k would not be something too far in my opinion............unless you think that is wrong.

To pick up on that, it does it at random times when the car is fully up to temperature as well.

So the car was thrown back to Audi to investigate and after a week of testing (yes, a week) they said that they could not recreate it. Alarm bells started ringing as soon as they started to explain to me that the car had cylinder on demand.

I had to point out that COD does not trigger under full throttle and even if it did (which it doesn't) the A1 tells you when it is in 2 cylinder mode on the dash.

He advised that there were no codes stored on the ECU so there isn't anything being flagged as an issue by the car. But there is clearly something wrong.

It's awkward as I really cannot be in a car with someone else so cannot bring a tech out etc. (shielding) They suggested I take it and see how it goes and we could pick it up if guidelines change.

As soon as I left with the car, within a mile or so, it did it.

My main concern was that they have cocked the timing but what makes me doubt that is when the car does not misfire, it drives well. If the timing was toss it wouldn't do that.

So, to the VAG smarties out there, what could it be?

I suspect coils, injectors, COD servos or some bucked wiring but just don't know

The fact is, this didn't happen before the TB was done. I know. I drove it down. Briskly.

Hello Andrew, 

‘.....driving a cold car at 4 to 5,000 rpm would not be too far in my opinion.....unless you think that is wrong’.  

Sorry but for me, treating the car in that manner when cold, would equate to a high degree of disrespect for any piece of machinery. Couple this with your mother being inclined to drive on a flat tyre, then I bet there cannot be many potential buyers forming a queue to buy your used cars! Sorry Andrew, but you did canvas opinion. 

Anyway, your ‘misfire’ ( when up to operating temperature) obviously suggests something is wrong, and it may be associated with an incorrectly timed cambelt change by the main dealer, but that would realistically be rare - although not impossible.  May I suggest you get the car inspected at another main dealer. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

So, ignoring basically the first part of what you said as you put more effort into judging me than anything useful......I will not apply the super helpful approach of "taking it to another dealer". I paid this dealer. Why would I do that?

Also, I couldn't care less who is queuing to buy the car could I? this will likely be her last car to put that into perspective. 

Also, if it cannot take the occasional snort at 4k rpm when cold to prove an issue to a dealer then I fear for this whole notion of audi quality.

My little clio gets utter dogs abuse when ice cold AS IT ANNOYS ME, FRENCH ETC......and you know what....120k and still doesn't miss a beat.

Thanks all the same though. Real helpful.