loss of power puff of smoke and now wont start

robbrooks

hi i just bought a audi a3 2l tdi sline was driving fine then all of a sudden limp mode so i turned car of then started again and was fine for like a mile but then it sounded like something popping then smoke from exhaust smoke and now car wont start any help please

Robert.

It could be a hundred or more faults from a faulty battery to a broken cambelt causing the problem. Without a lot more information it is unlikely anybody can help. Do you intend to investigate and repair it yourself, or will you take it to a mechanic?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Robert.

It could be a hundred or more faults from a faulty battery to a broken cambelt causing the problem. Without a lot more information it is unlikely anybody can help. Do you intend to investigate and repair it yourself, or will you take it to a mechanic?

I intend to do it my self it was when I accelerated abit .Ive read the the turbo pipe is a common fault on them but would that cause it to not start ? Sorry for all the questions

Hello Robert,

As Cliff says - the cause of your issues could be laid at the door of more components than you could throw a stick at, and again as Cliff says, trying to advice on any of these components ‘remotely’ will be no more than a black-art guess. 

I think it’s great that you are intending to carry out the repair of whatever is wrong, but you first have to identify where the problem lies - back to paragraph one! 

Without a correct diagnosis via. having the car inspected locally, then you will end up throwing good money in the wrong directions, so pessimistically, the answer to your question of ‘what’s wrong’ is highly unlikely to lie within this forum. 

If this were mine, I would be investing in an hour’s services of a trusted local mobile mechanic with a view to correctly identifying the offending component, then deciding that you can then rectify the problem yourself. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Robert,

As Cliff says - the cause of your issues could be laid at the door of more components than you could throw a stick at, and again as Cliff says, trying to advice on any of these components ‘remotely’ will be no more than a black-art guess. 

I think it’s great that you are intending to carry out the repair of whatever is wrong, but you first have to identify where the problem lies - back to paragraph one! 

Without a correct diagnosis via. having the car inspected locally, then you will end up throwing good money in the wrong directions, so pessimistically, the answer to your question of ‘what’s wrong’ is highly unlikely to lie within this forum. 

If this were mine, I would be investing in an hour’s services of a trusted local mobile mechanic with a view to correctly identifying the offending component, then deciding that you can then rectify the problem yourself. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

agreed, I would also have it on a diagnostics machine to see if it picked up a fault beforehand. So many things it could be from turbo veins, to boost pipe, to egr valve (just to name a few). You will end up throwing money down the drain if you just start replacing parts without actually knowing.

Robert.

In your position I would approach the problem by looking at, or testing, the various categories or systems to eliminate them from the equation one by one:

[1] Fuel. Is there any? Is it getting to the injectors? Are the injectors working?

[2] Electrical. Is the battery in good condition? Is the ECU faulty? Are the fuses and relays intact and working? Is the mass flow sensor working?

[3] Engine. Is the cambelt unbroken? Is the EGR blocked? Are the piston rings unbroken? Is there full compression in the engine?

[4] Turbo. Is it undamaged? Are the ducts split?

That is just a small sample of the possible faults you could have. There are many more.

I have just realised that your car is newly purchased. If it was from a dealer I suggest you try to return it under guarantee as its repair may be relatively cheap (in Audi terms,) or it could be very expensive.

Hello Robert,

I too missed the ‘just bought’ bit. Private sale or dealer? If dealer, you should certainly have redress, but do not ‘fiddle or try to diagnose’ anything, otherwise you could be judged as having a part in its failure. Simply, notify the selling dealer by e-mail and ask them what course of action they wish to tread. I would not be doing this by phone or text. 

If private sale? Does not necessarily discount redress. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.