Lane Assist

Toucanxoo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Steve Q said:

These videos might help 

Thanks for the info, however I fear the the latest C8 A6's have extra Nanny controls as standard.

The car is a 2021 A6 Black Edition with Tech Pack. 

I have had Lane guidance on other cars (including Audi, VW and Jaguar) and have been able to set the lane guidance default to OFF.

However, their seems to be 2 systems on this car. 1. Lane Guidance warning, and 2. Lane Departure.

1. Lane Guidance warning. I can turn off on the MMI under 'Drive Assist' This is the little vibration warning when you approach the edge of lane. TBH I could live with it albeit a little annoying after a while.

2. Lane Departure. This defaults to ON every time you turn the car on (regardless of turning OFF Lane guidance warning in the MMI). This is where the steering is actively controlled and turned in when you approach the edge of lane. This cannot be turned OFF (from what I can see) in the MMI. As far as I can tell the only way to turn this off is with the button on the end of the indicator stalk. It then defaults back to ON when you restart the car.

I really don't like this 'feature' and would like to find a way to turn off longer term. I get that there is a place for it, usually long stretches of A roads or motorways, but I rarely travel these roads so will spend more time manually turning it off. Not the end of the world, but I've managed 30 years of driving without it and would rather to stay that way.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:17 PM, Biggles33 said:

How did you turn it off permanently - I can't find a way. It is not listed under Driver Assist which the instruction manual says it is.....?

The Lane guidance is hidden in the Driver Assist menu.

You have to go CAR -> DRIVER ASSIST -> [COG ICON (top left)]

However you can only turn off the vibration warning, not the Departure assistance (Where the steering is deflected back into lane). A bit pointless really, but it's a part win.

HTH

I think this article eloquently articulates my feelings about the Lane Assist settings in the new A6.  It’s all about the stars!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a6/103539/electronic-safety-aids-aren-t-always-as-safe-as-they-seem%3famp

I had this enabled by a 3rd party and after some initial discomfort I have got used to it with the response set to late and input weak with no vibration. 

I can disable it by touching the ESP button momentarily but it resumes after a stop or if I use cruise control. 

I've now acquired OBDELEVEN and with this for 19 credits I can disable for good - if I was selling the car for example. 

Anyway if I was driving in a left hand drive country this might be useful to keep you in line. 

The jury is out for me but I can live with it. This technology as with start stop is not designed to make the car better it's just to tick boxes at the customer's (driving experience) expense. 

• 2 weeks later...

So an interesting conundrum for those following this thread or wanting to disable lane departure.

I keep getting an intermittent warning on the virtual dashboard, saying Lane Departure is not active due to license not purchased / expired.

I don’t seem to be doing anything to make this happen, but I could be inadvertently pressing / not pressing something on startup. Either way, this might be some back door into getting LD swithched off if anyone has any ideas why this might be happening?

855C097D-5D33-4F86-8EDA-18D02DCE3690.jpeg

• 11 months later...
On 5/11/2022 at 9:40 PM, Floridakristie said:

I HATE it!  I actually think it's dangerous, as it starts vibrating and "assisting" when totally unnecessary!

I agree. I turn mine off every time, it’s part of my start up ritual. If I forget it catches me out when the damn thing overides the steering. So dangerous.

Still looking for a permanent OFF

• 11 months later...

Is a video on YouTube where the guy is permanently disabled it but needs to be done with a diagnostic. My diagnostic can disable only the start/stop function but not this. I’m trying to see what diagnostic I need to do this