SOLUTION: bonnet(hood) stuck closed Audi A4 B7

Prof Mat

Hi all,
I came across an issue recently that appears common enough for people to post with requests for solutions but unusually where  I failed to find a concrete fix. So here is my stab at this:

The other week I went to do an oil check, pulled the bonnet release level and to my dismay felt no resistance and the bonnet remained firmly shut.

Bugger – how to get the bonnet open? There is no access from the front – even destroying off the plastic grill will not get you to any bolts that will help. What is the solution without resorting to a can opener and consequentially a new bonnet??

Here it is…

It will be much better to download the attached pdf as this has pics that will help a lot, but instructions with no pics are:

1. Go to B&Q (or equivalent hardware store) and purchase a 4-6mm diameter steel rod between 70 cm and a meter in length. Mine cost £2.60!!!

2. Get a decent vice and make two 90-degree bends at each end of the rod about 10 cm from end of rod by hand (I off-set each end by 90 degrees approx.), to make a ‘emergency bonnet release tool’.

3. Get the front of the car on ramps or jack up as high as possible. Remove undertray and get a good torch and get underneath….

4. You need to locate the bonnet lock mechanism – it’s at the top of the radiator fans. It will be very hard to see…  From below, at the right angle, you should be able to see the underside of the lock mechanism look for the large spring.

5. The reason you are unable to open the bonnet might be: 1, the cable has snapped; or 2, (as in my case) the end of the cable has come lose from the lock mechanism. The 2nd issue is common if you have had the front off and lock carrier into the service position and the cable-end has not been seated back in properly…

5. There are actually 2 sites for a cable to connect. If you have a RHD vehicle then the cable seats into the lower slot; if a LHD then upper slot. You need to get the end of your ‘emergency bonnet release tool’ into one of these two slots, and then twist using the lock housing to lever off and move the release mechanism. If you get into the lower slot the twist right; if you get into the top slot, then twist left. If you use a tube spanner or the end of a ring spanner to get on the other end of the rod where the other 90-degree bend is then you get more force and the bonnet should open!

Brilliant.

6. I then decided to add a bit of thick plastic cut to size to cover the cable end housing to stop it coming out again. Drill a small hole and tap a screw into it but do not tighten yet.

7. Reinstall the lock, and reseat the cable end properly, then swing the plastic down over the cable end and tighten screw.

Not sure if this will work/last, but at least you now have an ‘emergency bonnet release tool’ to sort it…

Hope this is of some help….

Bonnet open solution.pdf

• Like 1