OBD2 Scanner recommendations

Hi, 

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't find the info I was looking for.

I want to read fault codes in my 2008 B7 A4 cabrio. Before I buy an OBD2 scanner, I had a couple questions:

1) Is it safe to use the cheaper/unknown brand ones, or will I risk frying my ECU or other electronics?

2) Is it better to have the hard-wired unit with cable that attaches to a handheld device, or, a bluetooth reader and an App?

3) what would people recommend for a reasonably priced scanner (and app)?

I also have a 2011 VW Touran, which is my family car. It would be great to have a scanner that works on both, but I am much more risk averse when it comes to trying things out on the VW, because it's essential for family use (rather than my A4 cabrio, which is for fun :-))

Thanks!!!   

Just to add, I've seen some good things said about "OBDeleven". Does anyone know how much this costs to run after the initial purchase? I'm not keen on spending an annual subscription, but don't mind one-off costs. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I bought obdeleven basic from Amazon, and then bought the pro licence from within the app.

I successfully used it to read fault codes, but also to code a retrofit RNS315 in my VW Touran.  Using VCDS 'how to' videos, I can find the corresponding values/bytes/bits in OBDeleven.

Good kit! All in, cost me under £100 for the pro package.

• Like 1

Well done and you went for the pro pack, that will expand your capabilities as well as the facility to check once a month to head off any up and coming problems all at a fraction of the cost of VCDS. Its probably the best entry level set up I have seen for a long time and they are constantly updating the system, I have often thought recently of buying it but my phone is just about banged out with work APPS but I am rapidly thinking it might be worth an extra phone just to run that.

Steve.

• Thanks 1