Dpf light on after new dof

Hi  I am having a nightmare with my beautiful Audi 2006 A4 sline convertible tdi. 
After I bought it the dpf light came on and I took it to a garage where they charged me £500 to replace thermostat and cam shaft position sensor plus regeneration and fuel treatment . Within a week the dpf light was back on took it back to the same garage who charged me £250 for a clean and the f£c?k@ing light came on . Then they quoted £2000 for a genuine replacement and labour so I bought one from euro car parts and another mechanic put it on costing £550 including labour. The light was still on called Rac out and they cleared the code. Drove it for about three weeks and the light is back on , I have driven it when the dpf light is on and I always get engine warning light and coil and then limp mode. I think it is the pressure sensor but I haven’t got a clue it’s just from reading about it. I don’t want to get rid of it it’s the nicest car I’ve ever had . Any advice ? 

Edited by Sunshinesnoopy
Spelling

Hi it could well be a pressure sensor but my guess is that the DPF you bought is aftermarket and is therefore probably smaller than the original and will block up quicker if the pressure sensor is not playing the game, the aftermarket units are generally smaller and have a Cordierite filter element which works really well but has a lower core melting point than the SIC cores used by the manufacturer, thats why they are cheap.

Try getting a new pressure sensor and have the garage do a forced regeneration and the reset the adaptations for the new DPF if they did not do that after the new one was fitted that causes problems from the start as the adaptations used will be for the old unit, in effect you have to teach the DPF to learn its new functions as it goes along.

Steve.

Hi Stevey, thanks so much that makes so much sense. I feel like I keep getting stung, do you know what I should be paying for the pressure sensor and the  adapting it ? Is it done through the ecu and do u know what fault code reader is required is it the vag something ?

Hi the ball park figure for the sensor is £60 ish, adaptation fee should be about an hour of the garages time including the regeneration, make sure the garage has Vagcom or similar that can do the job unless its the latest Snap on kit most generic code readers won't have the required functions to do the job.

Regards Steve.

Hi Stevey, thanks so much for this. It’s been a nightmare from the start I was thinking of accepting we buy any cars offer but I couldn’t give up up on it. 
hopefully this will be the solution . Thanks again 

39 minutes ago, Sunshinesnoopy said:

Hi Stevey, thanks so much for this. It’s been a nightmare from the start I was thinking of accepting we buy any cars offer but I couldn’t give up up on it. 
hopefully this will be the solution . Thanks again 

Hi don't let those thieving Scrotes have it they will give you nothing for it when they spot the light, please let us know the outcome.

Steve.

Hi Steve, I’ve just been in touch with the garage and they have told me that there is no point moving forward with an aftermarket dpf.  I’m really confused. Should I take the euro car parts one off and put a used Audi one on, I’m really p£d!sed off 🥲

Hi Ann, sorry for the late reply, I thought the garage might say that as most of the aftermarket DPFs do give problems, I had it with one of my Cab buddies Mondeos he had fitted an aftermarket unit and done all the right adaptation changes but the car almost continuously regenerated, it was only when he bought a Ford refurbished part and we were fitting it that we realised that the aftermarket unit was a lot smaller in diameter the end result it filled up more quickly and therefore was regenerating more often.

It may be worth enquiring if Audi do a reconditioned unit as they are a lot cheaper than new, if not try some of the internet DPF suppliers as there are a lot of them do reconditioned units or O.E. specification units, the only other option is as you say second hand, if you can let me know what your VIN number is I will do a bit of digging as well, I am sorry I cant be of more help, as for the euro unit if you can get a garage to try a forced regeneration after fitting a new pressure sensor its worth a try.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply 😊no worries.

I have had a chat with a different mechanic who told me that he charges 330 for an eco remap, delete egr valve software and drill a hole through the dpf. So at the moment trying to get the original back without much success.

The vin isWAUZZZ8H47K005368.

Again many thanks for you help 

Hi Ann, getting a bit closer I just need to know if its automatic/manual and the engine size, apparently three different types fitted to your model.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve,  thanks for replying 😊it is manual and engine size is 1986 cc . I’ve had a conversation with a tuning and remapping garage and from what I am describing they are going to map out the egr valve and hollow out the dpf and do some other things . 
does this sound feasible. I have been trying to get my old dpf back without success ! Thanks for all your help 

27 minutes ago, Sunshinesnoopy said:

Hi Steve,  thanks for replying 😊it is manual and engine size is 1986 cc . I’ve had a conversation with a tuning and remapping garage and from what I am describing they are going to map out the egr valve and hollow out the dpf and do some other things . 
does this sound feasible. I have been trying to get my old dpf back without success ! Thanks for all your help 

Hi Ann, I am not personally a great fan of that type of work but in saying that having looked at some of the prices of the new units I would say in view of the age of the car and its emission levels for that year it sounds like a going proposition as long as they can guarantee that it will go through the Mot which might involve you giving the car a good thrashing before you take it in, my parts system says Audi have discontinued some DPFs for that model but I am sure they would find one for you if they thought you were going to pay around £1300.00 for it, I understand your misery at keep throwing your purse at the sharks with no results, and I would definitely steer clear of the first garage as they patently don't have a clue about what they are doing and a remap would definitely solve your current situation hopefully, as for the old DPF I expect the garage has sent that back to Euros to get the surcharge back, if you decide to go for that option please get them to explain what the emissions are likely to be like after the process and please can you post how you have been doing and if its worked.

Regards Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, hope your doing ok , what car have u got ? sorry I’ve taken a while to get back to you.  I’ve had an eco remap ! and egr  valve mapped out and is running much better, is really fast ! , although I am taking it steady !!! Do u know how to delete the pic of my car ? Also was going to ask something else about the tensioner. 
many thanks Ann

Hi Ann, I am good at the moment work has picked up [ Cabbie], I have a 16 plate A6 Avant 2.0 tdi, thanks for getting back to me I am pleased that this has worked out for you considering the eye watering alternative costs, yes it will be a lot faster as there is nowhere near the restrictions in the gas flow on the exhaust which equates to about another 25 BHP only advice I can give you is don't use cheap fuel [supermarket] as it will start to smoke as the fuel has quite a lot of light paraffin in it to blend it down and we all know what paraffin smells like when burnt.

I have in the past considered a remap etc but I have two MOTs a year and the council have spent a fortune on the latest emissions testing equipment an effort to weed us dodgy cab drivers out so I have to play the game to a greater extent but I still refuse to have Greta Thunberg as a pin up.

With regard to your car pics I think you would be best served asking the administrators on this site to remove them which I think would be the path of least resistance and they seem to be pretty much on the ball, just drop one of them a personal message on their drop box, try the guy called Magnet he seems to be on here quite a lot and is knowledgable. As for the belt tensioner if you can tell me which one it is I will do my best to advise, I am glad you have become a winner and not remained a victim of the thieving garages that exist in this world.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve,  nice car ! I had to google Greta Thumberg 😀 I only use my Audi for around town and once a week and a 60 mile drive, I use an electric pool car for work during the week, god there awful, automatic , occasionally forget there’s no clutch and nearly go through the window !! so I think it sort of balances it out .... but when I had the remap they checked out the tensioner as there was a rattle and apparently there is a bearing with missing or broken. They offer a 25% deposit of the cost of the job and monthly instalments but genuine definitely. As long as I stay under 3000 rpm should be ok . Fingers crossed but I’m looking at cam belt and water pump . ...  Sometimes occasionally I wish I had gone for a different car, but when the speed picks and the roof is down I don’t 😊

kind regards Ann

Hi Ann, if its the cam belt I would get it done ASAP as if that goes its game over, anything else please feel free to ask as thats what forums are for, as for another car, whatever else you get will be the same through experience I have found other makes just go wrong more frequently at least with the Audi you fix it and it gives you a lot more problem free motoring even as a cab I have racked up 60k in mine so far with very few problems as you cant count cam belts as a problem as with clutches as they are a wear related consumable.

Steve 🤔

• Like 1

Hi Steve, Thanks for this. Have been quoted £150 labour for cambelt which is ok ? 
Also would you have any advice about my soft top. I pressure washed it the other day and not sure if this was a coincidence but am having trouble with the soft top getting stuck and having to manually put it back up! 
there is a noise coming from the front passenger side like a clicking and the boot won’t open. I am going to disconnect the battery to see if I can get the soft top warning light off. Honestly it’s one thing after another ! 
hope your doing ok ? I drove an electric golf yesterday for work and was very impressed with it 😊

Hi Ann anything to do with a pressure washer and electrically operated things is bad news, the labour charge is reasonable, and as for the boot is it not opening from the outside/inside button or the key fob ? the clicking could be a dry C.V.joint or just a stone wedged in the tyre tread.

Regards Steve. ps the new all electric cars are impressive until they go wrong and you are forced to use dealers to fix them I don't think anyone on here including me would have a clue about repairs.

Hi Steve, many thanks, I think I know what the problem is . I have a large box in the boot restricting the soft top!  Trying to figure out how to get the boot open! The electric car was surprisingly nice to drive but my car is soo much better 😊

• 8 months later...