A5 design flaw?

skynet600

Hello all,

I noticed significant stone chipping on both door sills nearest the front types yesterday. It’s obvious why it is there as the car has no mud guard. The outer inch or so of the tyre is wider that the sills meaning debris will be thrown off it and onto the car body work.  My dealer won’t fix it and quoted over £600 to put it right. A lot of money to splash out every two years which is the age of the car. It has done 17500 miles.  Is this a known problem with this type of car? Anyone else managed to get Audi to fix it?

Thanks, Russ.

4 hours ago, skynet600 said:

Hello all,

I noticed significant stone chipping on both door sills nearest the front types yesterday. It’s obvious why it is there as the car has no mud guard. The outer inch or so of the tyre is wider that the sills meaning debris will be thrown off it and onto the car body work.  My dealer won’t fix it and quoted over £600 to put it right. A lot of money to splash out every two years which is the age of the car. It has done 17500 miles.  Is this a known problem with this type of car? Anyone else managed to get Audi to fix it?

Thanks, Russ.

Hi I think any car has hotspots for stone chips, I expect they know all about it but won't do anything which rather negates the anti perforation warranty, I have always used a product after respraying the offending area called Rhino film its thick and transparent and applied with soapy water and will take a world of punishment to the point where if it becomes opaque just take it off and apply another lot, its cheaper than paint.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.  You are right of course but mine seems to be worse than any other car I have had this far. The area is literally sprayed with marks. The reason for the question was more around the experience of other owners with the same car.  Maybe mine is so bad due to a previous owner having a gravel drive for example. I would be interested to hear others.

Hello Russell,

Let’s hope other owners come along with their experiences.

Of course, this has been a potential issue since the post war models of the 1950s, and has continued since, and often dictated the use of mud flaps - in many cases resulting in the deal sealing request to include a set of mud flaps, and mats in the new car deal. Just wondered if these are listed as optional extras for your model.

Re. Previous owner and gravel drive? Wondered if you noticed this at the time you bought it. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hey Gareth, honestly no I didn’t notice it. It really isn’t obvious when you view the car standing up. You have to get up close to :) That said there is too much damage to have happened in the ten months and 3000 miles I have added in that time. I haven’t seen an option for mud guards. 
thanks.