Not starting after the winter

Ste Kelly

Hi folks. Having an issue with my 05 1.8 Cabrio (auto). Its been off the road since around Sept when I got my work van. Battery died  around Christmas and shortly after I disconnected the leads and tried to recharge the battery with no luck. 

So the other day I got an (I think, I'll have to go check) 027 battery that we recently took out of the missus Touran when it went to be scrapped (its a brand new battery I had just got for it) and decided to start the car. All seemed to go ok for a second, got it hooked up and went to start the car , it starts but then cuts out after about 2 seconds. Thats all it will do. 

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

The remote locking wont work, but I was expecting that. I did try a couple of the resynch techniques I found with a google but no joy and I out 2 new batteries in them.

Cheers.

Ste

Hello Stephen,

The symptom you describe sounds typical of immobiliser issues, where the car starts, but the immobiliser cuts in and safeguards the car. 
Others will hopefully be more specific with this, but It wouldn’t surprise me if the car needs to have some degree of re-synchronising to reset the immobiliser.

027 battery? - although probably OK is an emergency replacement, I wouldn’t consider it suitably powerful for on-going use. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Only just realised when I saw your reply that I never really fleshed out my post re the battery 🙂 . I just mentioned it then forgot that I intended to say more. Yeah, it was only meant as a stopgap because I had it there so I could check all was working to avoid another dead battery situation after buying a new one. 

Hopefully there's a relatively simple fix for the starting issue. Cheers.

Thanks Stephen,

No problem. I guessed the spare battery was just stop gap. 
Re. the main issue:- A pessimistic view may be that you will need some plug-in intervention to solve that. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.