coupe cold starting issues

coupe4

hi lads ,

hello everyone,this is my first post but ive on as a guest for a while,im having trouble with my 95 coupe when its cold,it has the ace engine.when i start it cold it needs to be revved for about 3 or 4 minutes or it will cut out,once its warm its fine,ive changed the temp sensor,the cold start valve and cleaned most of the electrical connectors but no improvement and im wondering am i overlooking something else?im in ireland so theres not too many coupe owners here to talk to!any advice would be really appreciated,

• 1 year later...

Hi i had a similar problem on my coupe a few years ago. Is that the 2 litre 16v 140bhp dohc engine you have? Id check a few things that could be causing this. Make sure your air filters clean and the clips are closed properly on the airbox. This can be a nightmare around the airbox on these cars. Then make sure your metreing head rubber boot is totally flush with the metreing head cos any leaks here can cause idling and revving problems. Id also clean any rubber hoses going into the metreing head rubber boot as these can get clogged with grease and stuff and even perish or collapse. Its good youve cleaned the cold start valve which can be problematic on these. Im not sure if your cars got a isv on it. A idle stabilizer valve. On my 2.3 10v this is located at the front of the engine near the grill and has 2 hoses going into it. One goes to the metreing head rubber boot and these can get very dirty. If your car has one then id clean all of that and the hoses out with a bottle brush if you have one and hopefully youl see a huge difference. I hope this helps you. Good luck from IHK 11

hi ian,thanks for the advice.ive done most of the things youve mentioned over the last 12 months and its improved slightly but ill check later  for the isv and give it a clean.other than this issue its a great car and i love taking it out.ill post an update on how i get on later....cheers greg.