Tapping/loud ticking on cold mornings

Skewhiff

Hi all

new to the forum.I have an a3 1.4 tfsi cod (16 pre facelift)and it’s done 39000 miles.on cold (4* and less) I’m getting a knocking noise from o/s of engine that lasts a minute or so then goes away ..then no noise all day .its just had a service with Castrol/Audi filter 

Any ideas please before I go to the dealers 😳

many thanks 

Skewhiff 

• 4 months later...

Hi. I have the same engine and i have rattle noise when it switches 2 cyl mode back to 4. I think its normal. Probably at cold it adjusting itself but with a colder thick oil so it is not that effective.

Thank you Chicco

my knocking noise is from cold start up ..quite loud and only happens when it 4 degrees or below.after the initial warm up it’s fine all day  till the next cold morning 

kind regards 

skewhiff 

Hello John, 

I’m sorry you haven’t had replies which might have pointed you in the right direction, despite your post now being more than 4 months ago. 

Just to clarify that you have not experienced any such noise since you first posted ( temperature not fallen below 4 degrees since early May?). 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi its the hydraulic tappets not quite sitting properly as the oil is thick when that cold and it forms larger molecules when cold and is slower going through the Venturi that are very small but help to maintain the clearance between the cam followers and the cam lobes therefore until warm the clearances are slightly larger so it rattles a bit.

Steve.

16 hours ago, Skewhiff said:

Thanks Stevey

it was a bit worrying because the previous cold winters there was no noise at all   …maybe wear and tear. 

thanks again 

skewhiff 

Hi what grade oil are you using as that can have an effect on the problem.

Steve.