MMI controls not working. Two blinking red lights

Hi all, 

Have started to have an issue with the MMI control unit in my 2012 A5 (facelift model).  It works fine initially then after about 10-20 minutes it freezes and the lights on the two silver buttons to the right of the large scrolling wheel flash. The controls in the steering wheel still work and the screen changes with it.

I tried the three button reset, it does restart the MMI but doesn’t fix the issue. Only thing that seems to work is if I switch the car off for at least an hour. But again, it goes in about 10-20 minutes. 

Has anyone experienced this particular issue? Do you think replacing the MMI control module will work?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Matjj87
Changed spelling

I'd advise a diagnostic check to see what fault codes flag up. It does sound like an issue with the head unit and a replacement might be required to cure the issue. 

Just an update. Purchased and fitted a  replacement MMI control unit but have the same issue. 
I have sent a few request to audio repair companies, so will wait to see what they come back with. But if anyone else are able to offer any advice, I would be very grateful 

Hi Mathew - you could try contacting these people who may be able to assist you: https://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/a/audi-mmi-problems-diagnostic-423457

I hope you get it resolved.

Regards

Olu

Edited by Obasa

10 hours ago, Matjj87 said:

Just an update. Purchased and fitted a  replacement MMI control unit but have the same issue. 
I have sent a few request to audio repair companies, so will wait to see what they come back with. But if anyone else are able to offer any advice, I would be very grateful 

IMG_1460.MOV

Sorry to hear a replacement unit didn't solve it. Has it been coded to the car? (If applicable). 

• 1 year later...

Yes. In the end I had to replace the main mmi unit. Trouble I had though was the part number on my unit was 8R2035666 and all the units I could find had a letter at the end, like 8R2035666G. I tried one with a letter at the end, as I found a few posts saying it shouldn’t matter but it did. I eventually found one the same as mine and it fixed the problem straight away. I did have to have the component protection removed though. I managed to get a used unit for 250 + 90 for the c/p removal. Audi had quoted me over 3k. 

I hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 7:20 AM, Matjj87 said:

Yes. In the end I had to replace the main mmi unit. Trouble I had though was the part number on my unit was 8R2035666 and all the units I could find had a letter at the end, like 8R2035666G. I tried one with a letter at the end, as I found a few posts saying it shouldn’t matter but it did. I eventually found one the same as mine and it fixed the problem straight away. I did have to have the component protection removed though. I managed to get a used unit for 250 + 90 for the c/p removal. Audi had quoted me over 3k. 

I hope this helps

Great news you are sorted, I have had the exact same issue with my A5.  Where did you get your replacement mmi from and did it need recoding ?  Also what did you pay please so I know what to look for