S4 fake exhausts

Karl g

I have a saloon S4 and hate the fake exhausts,ideally would like a proper full set of pipes like my old golf r or a plate to remove the fake side and just have the two.I just don’t get the fake pipe thing I know the s cars traditionally had four pipes so either do 4 for real or 2 real but not fake,sorry it does wind me up.I wondered if anyone has seen either trim to replace the fake ones or a back box system to make them all real.I cannot be the only one wound up by this🤪

Hi, when you say fake do you mean one side has visible silver plates in the tail pipes, if so I think you might find these open up when the car is being revved at high speed say on a motorway this is to allow the gas to escape more quickly and they shut down around town to channel the exhaust and the noise through the other side only more quietly in urban areas, I cant see Audi or any other manufacturer fitting a high quality steel baffle box that does nothing.

Steve.

Hi Steve on the left side are two pipes a gap and then the chrome plated oval pipes on the right side are two chromed pipes that are not attached to anything and blocked off,there is nothing behind them at all.Being a diesel it has just the two pipes but instead of facing down they are straight with a few inches then the chromed ovals.My golf r had 4 real pipes and the outer two on each side were closed and opened up when under load this is not the same have a look at you tube they explain it better than I do.

The answer is new back box with proper pipes or to take off the trim and have it as two on the left only but haven’t seen either done

16 minutes ago, Karl g said:

Hi Steve on the left side are two pipes a gap and then the chrome plated oval pipes on the right side are two chromed pipes that are not attached to anything and blocked off,there is nothing behind them at all.Being a diesel it has just the two pipes but instead of facing down they are straight with a few inches then the chromed ovals.My golf r had 4 real pipes and the outer two on each side were closed and opened up when under load this is not the same have a look at you tube they explain it better than I do.

The answer is new back box with proper pipes or to take off the trim and have it as two on the left only but haven’t seen either done

Hi sorry just hazarding a guess I didn't realise that Audi were going the same way as the Blue Oval cheap theatrical props to imitate a sporting heritage revisited, I can now see why you are so pixxed off with it, if I had paid what you have for that car I would expect the full Monty exhaust as well, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards. Steve

No worries just pleased to hear from someone who has the same thoughts just because the petrol ones had four pipes doesn’t mean the diesel has to look the same.I feel they missed a trick...two pipes and debadged would have been a fabulous sleeper.The biggest pain is keeping the left side pipes spotless because they get grubby and the other side doesn’t 🤔.I have yet to hear anyone think it was a good idea surely someone out there has sourced a fix,if the club don’t know nobody will.

25 minutes ago, Karl g said:

No worries just pleased to hear from someone who has the same thoughts just because the petrol ones had four pipes doesn’t mean the diesel has to look the same.I feel they missed a trick...two pipes and debadged would have been a fabulous sleeper.The biggest pain is keeping the left side pipes spotless because they get grubby and the other side doesn’t 🤔.I have yet to hear anyone think it was a good idea surely someone out there has sourced a fix,if the club don’t know nobody will.

Its confusing,  I see what you mean, my old Mondeo Titx sport diesel had twin exhaust one either side and they were BIG as the idea of that is to clear the gas quicker as diesels require virtually no back pressure, the petrol version had the same set up but the tailpipes looked like peashooters to maintain the back pressure required, therefore why cant you have a four pipe set up as it really wouldn't matter as its all about rapid gas evacuation. Perhaps it might be worth researching a custom made conversion if you already have the hole for the dummy pipes.

That was my thoughts I’d love to get rid of the chrome plastic trims and have proper pipes all the way through easy enough I would have thought just hoping someone else has either done it or found someone who can,probably an expensive thing maybe someone in the club has some insight.

It seems to be such a silly thing my a8 diesel had fake trim but it wasn’t meant to look like exhausts just to give the impression and that didn’t bother me at all but because they are clearly making them look like exhausts on the S4 I find it drives me mad as you said it is a heritage thing but they switched to diesel,the customers know they are diesels so why make it look like the old petrol one.I would love to know how many people dismissed the S4 and s6 because of the fake pipes more than dismiss them because they are diesel I bet.Such a shame because the diesel is an epic engine and really suits the car real world quick and economical and I have been hugely impressed with it .....oh but the pipes Steve 

• 1 year later...