1999 avant 1.8 20v

VAG fool

Introducing my new daily driver, 1 family owned and well cared for, a mere 77k on the odo.

Basic-ish spec but hard-touch switchgear with climate is a joy to behold.

Gearbox is really nice as you'd expect.

Nice and economical for a petrol car, had a few niggles (APK inlet manifold "motor" and MAF) but running nicely after a 2 year layup.

I have just done the cambelt whichbhad only done 11k but was 8 years old and alarmingly stretched, I could lift the pulley arm off the tensioner by hand!

IMG_20210410_160528_4_resize_94_crop_81.jpg

IMG_20210410_160548_6_resize_51.jpg

A few more details. Ally spare, toolkit untouched, full folder including the original bill of sale from local dealership and a genuine boot liner.

Reminds me a lot of my old 52 plate manual allroad, but without the heft.
Or the 2.5Tdi torque....

IMG_20210415_201603_0_resize_77.jpg

IMG_20210418_102127_1_resize_86.jpg

IMG_20210418_102036_2_resize_29.jpg

It was sold to me for very small money (legally stolen quite frankly!) but on the understanding that I would keep and use it, not flip it for a quick profit.

Its a delight. Not perfect by any means, its been used and there are a couple of scuffs and gutter scabs, but for a 22 year old car its wearing the years lightly.

Also came along at just right time as the 88k A2 1.4SE I bought for m'lady has priven to be an ill-maintained and thoroughly mucked about moneypit!

I find it's all in the service history, and a well maintained old Audi will be more reliable. 

Sorry to hear of issues with the a2. They're going to be a future classic for sure. There's a very strong, knowledgeable and friendly a2 club which might be worth joining (not that I'm trying to get rid of them you, I just want you to be able to get the best advice). We do t ge t many a2 owners on here to be honest. 

I joined A2OC as soon as we bought it. It will come good, paid over the odds but it is high spec (leather, Bose, glass roof) and we wanted a 1.4 petrol as they are the least grief. Engine is sweet, drove it 130 miles home and everything worked in the pouring rain so its got potential, just needs some love after the bottom feeder garage abuse.

• 7 months later...

My 1.8 a4 avant 2000 reg daily driver hit 293.000 miles on same engine no major work.and probably had miles left if i fixed a load of things. Had it 11 years and did 180 thousand in it absolutely unbelievable reliability:) wish ida kept her the body was mint no rust or major damage and interior 

Screenshot_20210811-132023_Photos.jpg

19 hours ago, Everhigh76 said:

My 1.8 a4 avant 2000 reg daily driver hit 293.000 miles on same engine no major work.and probably had miles left if i fixed a load of things. Had it 11 years and did 180 thousand in it absolutely unbelievable reliability:) wish ida kept her the body was mint no rust or major damage and interior 

Screenshot_20210811-132023_Photos.jpg

Looks lovely. I'll never get rid of my c5 that's for sure.