Diagnostic reader

Rubregis42

Hi all ive bought a diagnostic reader for my a6 estate havent seen the reader yet but im hoping to turn off the engine light and maybe it can tell me if i need to replace the maf sensor as sometimes it runs well bit smokey on start up but sometimes feels like its half the power or maybe a coil pack what can i expect from this reader its a pro one from retro parts on eBay thanks

Not personally used a reader yet. But they do vary in quality and functionality. Some only let you view codes whereas some aloe you to turn off warning lights or reset functions. Whst functions did it say in the description when you bought it? 

No probs. Either way a mad sensor or coil pack are easy repairs. I think a faulty could pack would cause a misfire. A mad sensor could cause it to run lumpy. On old cars that were running poorly abd the mad was suspected to be the cause, you could disconnect it, abd if the car ran better then you know the maf was failing. You could try this but I've not tried it on a modern car. The last time I tried it was on a 1993 Volvo. 

Cheers

Steve

Hi steven i cant upload the images it says a unknown server is not compatible what am i doing wrong? However the reader resets the milf light but then it comes on again after a  day the dtc says no input from the ignition distributor signal so im surmising it could be a coil pk? dont know yet still investigating! Cheers rob

• 1 month later...

Good news bought a new cranksensor for £28 fitted for £30 as my lying underneath with axle stands days are over and it flies my obd11 reader has paid for itself fingers crossed thankyou for your advice steve

7 hours ago, Rubregis42 said:

Good news bought a new cranksensor for £28 fitted for £30 as my lying underneath with axle stands days are over and it flies my obd11 reader has paid for itself fingers crossed thankyou for your advice steve

Fantastic news! Glad you got it sorted family easily 🙂