Put down a deposit on an approved A5 ... some advice please!

richwantsacar

Hey guys, I’ve put down a deposit on approved used Audi A5 s line ... it’s a 2016 car so one of the first of the ‘new shape’ cars - has 19 inch wheels, sun protection glass, flat bottom wheel and virtual cockpit! Which is a nice spec to me! I think it has ‘tech pack’ but I don’t actually know what that is?

My Audi knowledge isn’t actually that great - this will be my first ‘nice’ car. I actually thought I’d end up getting a BMW which I know a lot more about spec wise but I really liked how the Audi’s drove and felt inside. 

I haven’t actually seen the car in the flesh, I’m going to pick it up next week after it’s been through prep. It will have a 2 year warranty which is good for putting my mind at ease.

could you guys please advise me for anything to check when collecting? Common faults etc that the dealer can rectify but might not have? Anything to ask for? Even anything that you’d recommend I have them walk me through in terms of using features on the car? 

I’ll post up some pics when i collect it! Hope to stick around here and learn enough to help others 🙂 

Thanks a lot! 

Like you when I purchased my car last year I placed only a £99.00 holding deposit without seeing the car in the flesh. I confirmed that of I did not like the car I would be refunded my deposit. Did get confirmation of a refundable deposit if you were not happy with the car?

You will find that they will take you through the main features and request a test drive before signing any documents. During the test drive check that the steering is OK especially at 60mph - no wheeel wobble. Check the brakes and listen for any unusual sounds, knocks coming from the engine area and suspension.

Take a look under the bonnet and check the oil level, checks the tyre treads and a visual check of the condition of the bodywork for deep scratches, dents and knocks and for general good paintwork.

When stationary start up the car and do a couple of short blips on the accelerator and check the exhaust for blue/black smoke.

Check that all the interior controls work and all the windows work (go fully down and up)

In reality you are sort of doing a general MOT for your purchase.

If you find any defects that you are not happy with then point them out and request that they are rectified before you make any further commitments.

Hope the above helps you and if you buy it - enjoy it.😀

Regards

Olu

Edited by Obasa

Hey Olu! Thanks so much for the info! Yes I checked the deposit was refundable - this was just verbally over the phone.  

Great tips - I shall do all of those things when I get there, thanks! Good ideas on looking for smoke and actually testing the windows! 

The car is just going into prep now so hopefully they do a good job!

Thanks!

You are more than welcome Richard. 😀

I am pleased to read that your deposit is refundable.

I am sure that after the preparation of the car and visual checks and test drive you will fall in love with it. 😏

I look forward to seeing the pictures of your new car.

Regards

Olu

Of course I agree with you. However there times when in order to prevent anyone else my buying, then a refundable deposit helps secure it until you can visit to inspect it. But understand what you mean its not the efficient way to act - but needs must. 🤣

Methods of buying have multiplied since I had hair, when you always bought locally - without exception. I may be old fashioned ( well actually I know I am), but what puts me off with buying sight-unseen at a distance, is the validity/ practicality of any warranties. Who wants to undertake say a 200 mile round trip back to the seller to get something rectified under warranty - just simply impractical. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

I totally agree with your comments and I am quite old school myself. However unfortunately us customers appear to have no choice in the matter at times as these are the guidelines presented to us from the car shows and even local car shows have opted these options. 😮

I suspect that there are thoose who would undertake a long journey if they believe that it is the right car for them. I accept your commen that is is simply impractical but I do know of friends who have driven miles just to purchase a car without visually seeing the car in the flesh.

Personally I would not encounter such as journey and have always ried to purchase as local as possible.

In regards to warranties, that it is different controversial topic for discussion. 😏

Regards

Olu

Edited by Obasa

My last 2 purchases were from dealers at a distance from me. 

I was prepared to travel for the car I wanted. 

Both were VW and Audi approved cars from dealers and so I expected to get any niggles sorted out at my local dealer.

In the case of my Q5 I bought it unseen and undriven from Lincoln - in fact due to Covid rules a test drive would have been a major operation. 

I had previously test driven one in 2020 and have had Audis before so my risk was less than the OP on this thread. 

Everyone has their own opinion on risk (as I'm sure we have on lockdowns and pandemics) 

I felt that a 2.5 year old, single owner, low mileage car from an Audi dealer was an acceptable risk. 

So far I have no complaints but I agree that the method is not for everyone! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shytot said:

My last 2 purchases were from dealers at a distance from me. 

I was prepared to travel for the car I wanted. 

Both were VW and Audi approved cars from dealers and so I expected to get any niggles sorted out at my local dealer.

In the case of my Q5 I bought it unseen and undriven from Lincoln - in fact due to Covid rules a test drive would have been a major operation. 

I had previously test driven one in 2020 and have had Audis before so my risk was less than the OP on this thread. 

Everyone has their own opinion on risk (as I'm sure we have on lockdowns and pandemics) 

I felt that a 2.5 year old, single owner, low mileage car from an Audi dealer was an acceptable risk. 

So far I have no complaints but I agree that the method is not for everyone! 

We did the same with my wife's jag which we bought through covid from a main dealer in the next county. Couldn't due a test drive due to covid rules other than a short stint in the carpark. However my wife bought it and loves it. Always wanted a jag. 

But if it wasn't a main dealer and just an independent garage then we wouldn't have done it. Most of the warranties independent garages offer aren't worth the paper they're written on. 

9 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

But if it wasn't a main dealer and just an independent garage then we wouldn't have done it. Most of the warranties independent garages offer aren't worth the paper they're written on. 

Totally agree 👍 

I bought my Audi last June during Covid and unfrotunately despite allowing to inspect the car and start it and was not allowed to test drive it. However as I was sure there was nothing worng with it I bought it and have no incurred any problems with the car. I had it MOT's last November and they confirmed that it is a superb car in every shape and form 😀

I also agre that warranties do not hold any weight in our favour.

• 2 months later...

I bought my a5 quottro black edition from an independent dealer and he went above and beyond with the pre delivery prep and a 12 month warranty he personally honoured the car is fantastic and the dealer service was also fab