What's the best soft top protector?

Sammyrai

Hi,

I recently bought a 2008 A4 Cabriolet, which had previously been stored in a garage. As such, the roof is pristine.

I don't have a garage so I would like to protect the soft top roof as much as possible.

Can anyone recommend a treatment, to prevent algae, and for general protection in wetter seasons?

I don't mind paying for a professional job if such a thing exists, or doing it DIY.

Thanks!

Sammy

Thank you 🙂

Looks like I need to to a clean and protect routine a couple times per year. I'll give these products a go.

I know you must be thinking "why doesn't this guy just Google it?!" But I had already done that, I was wondering if there was some sort of professional protecting option people has used, that they could recommend. 'I'm not a lazy forum user, honestly gov' 😀

• 3 months later...

Be extremely careful with a powerhouse and keep it away from the soft top. I have used the autoglym cleaner and it’s fine but the gtechniq products are amazing. The proofers can leave marks on the bodywork which are a pain to remove. Always clean and proof before the winter, it helps stop mould which will always grow with our climate

Not sure about resurrecting this 3 month old thread, but for what it’s worth, I use Fabsil, but I would bow to the use of Autoglym products as well.

Whatever, my tip is to start at one side at the edge nearest to you (above the door) and work to the middle. Then go around the other side and work from the middle out - avoiding the risk of a ‘dry edge’, if you start at the mild and work towards the edge. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hi thanks for feedback, I’ll look into the other products. I posted earlier that soft has come unstuck from corners of rear widow, any thoughts?

Thanks Mark and Keith. 
I found 1 litre of Fabsil was more than enough, and served well if repeated every couple of years. I’ve not tried Renovo’s more expensive products, but no doubt they would be expected to be superior. 
Not absolutely sure about what has come unstuck at the corners Mark (could you have a glance at your thread). 
If you are suggesting something needs ‘re-gluing’, then obviously any silicone based proofer is going to creat an issue. 
Probably well worth doing a search on adhesives which may accommodate such problems. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I used the full Renovo kit on a BMW I had years ago and found that the recolouring left the top very stiff and was worried that it would strain the motors. I've never tried the Fabsil but then again, I'm a bit addicted to the Gtechniq products.

I looked up best protector for tents and apparently people who are on expedition in the Amazon jungle use Fabsil twice a year for protection! 🤷‍♂️

00F34DD0-7FF0-4781-AD58-116BCD2BE811.thumb.jpeg.39779d71f12e3222fdaeb6d5254f70d0.jpeg4E70F1BF-8A1C-43DE-A64D-6A1137E51B1D.thumb.jpeg.2dce16ebacb9363dae55df167dc9e672.jpegworks for me

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I’ve ordered some fabsil and a 4 inch paint brush.

The roof has some green on it. What’s best to have this removed before I fabsil? I’ve heard a hot wash is required but is it just with normal wash and wax? Or some other concoction?