Pre Sense Tried to kill me!

Cass1usclayton

Driving on cruise control at 70mph (through average speed check cameras) I was in the outside lane about to pass an artic in the middle lane, as the front of my car passed the back wheels of the artic my car slammed full on and I mean full on, the only other time I have felt my brakes as strongly was when I let my wife drive once (who drives a manual) and she used her clutch foot on the brake.

I was then sat on the motorway looking in my rear view mirror at other cars bearing down on me and anchoring on also, my car would not move, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and cycled through a list of issues; Airbag light, Parking brake light, exclamation mark triangle, Pre sense fault, emergency braking system off, safety system fault, start stop system fault, Emergency Call function fault, parking brake fault, TPMS Fault and Stabilisation control fault, then the car decided it was ok to go again so I set off, all the faults remain on the dash screen but at least the car moves, Audi tells me this is down to an airbag sensor fault and want to charge me £1100 for the privilege of replacing it, I asserted that this is surely a recall issue but they say they only recall if more than 5 cars exhibit the same fault so I'm just wondering if anyone else has? 

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4678.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_4681.jpg

IMG_4682.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

Sorry to hear of your issues. I cannot believe an airbag sensor fault could cause this. Please look at the news section as there's been a recent article about adaptive cruise control issues on the Q5 and other vag cars. 

Do you have the car on finance? If so, it might be worth speaking to the finance company explaining the issues and see if you can get the car classed not fit for purpose. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've had it happen once in the five or so months I've owned my A5 when the postie crossed the road and I'd moved over to give him more space, but I was only doing around 10 MPH and not using ACC.

It's a shame the original post was not followed up.

11 hours ago, jdragon said:

I've had it happen once in the five or so months I've owned my A5 when the postie crossed the road and I'd moved over to give him more space, but I was only doing around 10 MPH and not using ACC.

It's a shame the original post was not followed up.

Hi these systems are dangerous its like Google and their driverless cars around New York, thats all gone very quite, I hate to point out the obvious but there is no quicker means of processing information than that of the human brain which is programmed by repetitive experience to preempt a possible danger these systems work on mono logic which in simple terms means Its spotted a perceived problem so it jams the brakes on, human reaction I have spotted a potential problem, scrub off some speed and move to another lane and go past it.

Steve.

I've disabled it using VCDS but it doesn't stop it from becoming active when the ignition is cycled. The only way I know of is to manually disable in the MMI at the start of every journey.

• Like 1