Replacing parts on my A3

Rhukath

Hi everyone,

I have an A3 2.0 Quattro S-line (a really nice 2005 model) and I'm looking at replacing a few of the parts, partly due to mot issues and partly down to making sure the car stays intact.

I need to replace the driver side headlight cluster, but I'm struggling to find a decent replacement. I'm wondering if it's worth thinking about replacing with something more up to date or if anyone knows where I might get a decent set of headlight clusters at a reasonable price.

I also need to replace some of the rubbers along the side of the window that seem to have rusted underneath, and wondered how easy this is, and if it might mean replacing the doors or getting somebody to look at the bodywork.

I'm also thinking about having the engine remapped, and replacing the dashboard display but these are lower priorities at this point in time.  But at the same time i would like to know if the engine remapping is worth the expense, and also if replacing the dashboard cluster might iron out an issue with the central locking and an incorrect outside temperature reading.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there 🙂 

Regarding headlights, be careful as the law has recently changed. Most aftermarket (upgraded) headlights are no longer legal. If the lens has gone Milky coloured you could always try rubbing tooth paste on it with a tooth brush to try and clear it up a little. 

Regarding rust on the doors, I'm in the same boat and gave this on my a6 c5. Will be taking it to a body shop once its back from the auto electrician. But I have seen worse case scenarios as per the pics 😬 

Regarding central locking you might find it's the driver's door module, my a6 has just had this replaced but is having further work done regarding be the alarm (auto electrician). The module controls all the central locking. I can let you know the cost of this once my cars back. 

Regarding a remap, make sure you go to a professional that has a rolling road for best results. Make sure the cars in good health too. 

Cheers 

Steve 

FB_IMG_1621152997162.jpg

FB_IMG_1621152991134.jpg

FB_IMG_1621152994176.jpg

The problem with the headlight is that the back clip that holds the access to the cluster on the drivers side is broken (see pic) therefore it's open to anything getting in, and needs replacing. As per anything I think that they would be best replaced as a pair.

I have included pics of the rust I mentioned. It's under the plastic on the driver and passenger door so I'm not sure if it is rust or something else but I suspect rust. It's not been mentioned on any MOT's but I think it's better sorted sooner rather than later (also see pics).

The central locking issue has been looked at in the past but it's back once again and literally just locks the door at random therefore I have to have a spare key on my at all times when I drive the car.

I agree with the remapping IE using a reputable company. I'm planning once I get round to it, to put it into a proper automotive company that deals with that kind of thing.

As you can see from the other pictures the car is in pretty good condition,

IMG_20210521_153756.jpg

IMG_20210521_153744.jpg

IMG_20210521_153823.jpg

IMG_20210521_153756.jpg

Yea looks like rust. Regarding the headlights, can't you just source the rubbers? 

Yea I'm in the same situation with the central locking. 

Like mine then being in good condition. Just trying to get mine fully done up ready for the august show season ☺️

I'd love to show mine but I think it would require a lot more work in the engine bay and some of the interior.

I plan on replacing the parcel shelf, and boot liner at some point because the car has been "used" well in the time I've had it.

Having said that it's reasonably low mileage for it's age, only 138k on the clock.

No the piece that has broken on the headlight is the clip that keeps the rear of the headlamp unit access on.

32 minutes ago, Rhukath said:

I'd love to show mine but I think it would require a lot more work in the engine bay and some of the interior.

I plan on replacing the parcel shelf, and boot liner at some point because the car has been "used" well in the time I've had it.

Having said that it's reasonably low mileage for it's age, only 138k on the clock.

No the piece that has broken on the headlight is the clip that keeps the rear of the headlamp unit access on.

Don't worry, all audis are welcome on our club displays ☺️ bodywork wise mine is ok, abd the interior is worn but it's to be expected at 335k miles. I call it all patina lol. For me displaying my Audi is a small part of the experience as it's about the social aspect for me. Take a look at our events section. Here's a pic of my a6 at beaulieu from 3 years ago. And north coast 500 trip last year. 

FB_IMG_1621616251946.jpg

FB_IMG_1620720260861.jpg

very nice. any idea why I can't put some of my pics up? keep getting a 200 error.

I'm wondering if the files are too large.

1 minute ago, Rhukath said:

very nice. any idea why I can't put some of my pics up? keep getting a 200 error.

I'm wondering if the files are too large.

Thank you ☺️ I would suspect they're too large. You'll need to make the files smaller. Or what I do, i put the pics on Facebook then save them from Facebook onto my phone and that reduces the size down. 

4 hours ago, Rhukath said:

Had it since 2010

put a lot of time and money into it too 🙂

Very nice. My family have owned my a6 from new. My dad then me. That's it, they take a lot to maintain which makes it harder to get rid of them. Mines got sentimental value now though. 

Yes they definitely have sentimental value. My eldest boy who's 5 loves the odd drive in 'daddy's fast car' and I think he'd be devestated to see it go. I've made sure it's regularly serviced and recently had 2 new wings a rust spot on the door and new sills. 

I'll need to check out those areas on the doors though, just wondering if it's likely to mean 2 new doors or a patch job. 

Just now, Rhukath said:

Yes they definitely have sentimental value. My eldest boy who's 5 loves the odd drive in 'daddy's fast car' and I think he'd be devestated to see it go. I've made sure it's regularly serviced and recently had 2 new wings a rust spot on the door and new sills. 

I'll need to check out those areas on the doors though, just wondering if it's likely to mean 2 new doors or a patch job. 

Wings are well known problem on vag cars of this era. I need mine looking at again. Yea the doors a worry for me too and dread the thought of getting a replacement door. 

Yeah it's expensive to replace whole parts on these cars. Just the mention of audi and you can see a body repair experts eyes light up. 

6 hours ago, Rhukath said:

Yeah it's expensive to replace whole parts on these cars. Just the mention of audi and you can see a body repair experts eyes light up. 

I'm lucky I've got a good body shop local. Will have a look at sourcing new doors 

When it comes to replacing parts like headlamps, on-line car breakers can be useful. I doubt you could get individual window rubbers or clips, but significant assemblies were available.

Central locking seems to be a regular problem on this forum. In my case it was a broken wire inside the driver's door. Search through old topics and you will find one regarding repair of broken wires and cleaning corroded contacts.

Thanks cliff. I'm thinking that if i'm replacing things like headlamps I might just go ahead and get something newer with more powerful headlamps. I'm wondering if any of the more modern A3 headlamps with fit my car...

I'm almost 44, so I'd rather ensure I can see well at night. I'm recovering from bowel cancer as a result I was diagnosed with AFAP and one of the side effects of it is deterioration in eyesight. I'm thinking get it done now before my eyesight does get worse. 

Hi I can't see properly from the photos you posted but if your car has the same lenses as Steve the lack of light problem is easily solved as all the Audis around the  1998-2010 suffered with the same problem the projector light bowls lose the chrome on them and have poor output, try a company called Retrofit lab they do a rather nice line in replacement bowls that are a lot less expensive than new units, I helped fit some to an A3 and the results with standard bulbs was astounding.

Steve. 

The problem is the catch on the back of the driver side lamp that holds the back on has broken off so at some point it will be an mot failure. There's no way to replace the catch cause it's moulded as part of the headlamp unit, so the unit will need to be replaced