Audi drivers are officially safer than BMW drivers

Steve Q

An age-old motoring stereotype might have been laid to rest by government data which shows the types of cars that have been involved in the most crashes on British roads.

According to figures from the Department for Transport, the Vauxhall Zafira has been involved in the most accidents, given the number registered on the roads - but the biggest revelation could be found further down the table.

The figures have also revealed that BMW drivers have significantly more crashes in the UK than Audi drivers.

In fact, the Ingolstadt marque, which pioneered Quattro all-wheel-drive technology and made waves on the world rally scene, emerged as one of the least-crashed cars in Britain, with fewer than 200 accidents for every 10,000 cars on the road.

Compare this to BMW drivers, who have something of a reputation for forgetting their indicators, and it has been revealed that fans of the Bavarian brand have been involved in 297 accidents per 10,000 cars registered.

The figures, which were gleaned under the Freedom of Information Act by Rivervale Leasing, set out the BMW 3-Series as the fifth most crashed car on UK roads.

According to the data 17,215 accidents involved the popular family saloon, and there are 578,674 registered in the UK.

Three Vauxhall models top the list - the Zafira, Astra and Corsa came in first, second and fourth place altogether.

With 34,300 accidents across all Audi models, and a total of 1,783,064 Audi cars on the road, Audi came in 10th in the list of the 10 most-crashed manufacturers.

Vauxhall came out on top, and the next most-crashed brand was Renault. Peugeot came third in the top 10 manufacturers.

So it would appear that, statistically speaking, Audi drivers are safer drivers than BMW drivers.

Maybe the old BMW indicator jokes weren't so far off the mark after all.

The top 10 most-crashed cars in the UK

1, Vauxhall Zafira - Accidents per 10,000 models: 511

2, Vauxhall Astra - Accidents per 10,000 models: 363

3, Renault Clio - Accidents per 10,000 models: 335

4, Vauxhall Corsa - Accidents per 10,000 models: 314

5, BMW 3 Series - Accidents per 10,000 models: 297

6, Ford Focus - Accidents per 10,000 models: 273

7, Volkswagen Golf - Accidents per 10,000 models: 240

8, Ford Fiesta - Accidents per 10,000 models: 233

9, Volkswagen Polo - Accidents per 10,000 models: 231

10, Toyota Yaris - Accidents per 10,000 models: 227

The top 10 manufacturers to be involved in accidents 

1, Vauxhall - Accidents per 10,000 models: 335

2, Renault - Accidents per 10,000 models: 334

3, Peugeot - Accidents per 10,000 models: 312

4, Ford - Accidents per 10,000 models: 299 

5, Toyota - Accidents per 10,000 models: 270

6, Mercedes-Benz - Accidents per 10,000 models: 259

7, Volkswagen - Accidents per 10,000 models: 251

8, BMW - Accidents per 10,000 models: 224

9, Nissan - Accidents per 10,000 models: 202

10, Audi - Accidents per 10,000 models: 192

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/motoring/audi-or-bmw-drivers-safest-5435741.amp

0_crash.jpg

Interesting stats. Steve, but there is a big and meaningful difference between lists of crashes for marques and models ‘involved in’ crashes, and a comparable lists complied for ‘caused by’ ! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

28 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Interesting stats. Steve, but there is a big and meaningful difference between lists of crashes for marques and models ‘involved in’ crashes, and a comparable lists complied for ‘caused by’ ! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

So true Gareth. I'm sure it would make interesting reading! 

Hi Chaps I am glad you have published this I was beginning to think it was just me or the area I work in, the BMW drivers round here don't indicate as most of them only have one hand on the wheel, normally the left hand is on the wheel the right supported by their elbow is on the door frame whilst the index finger on the right hand is supporting their nose.

The Zafira owners club is in the next town so you only get the odd one comes our way normally driven down the high street at mach 1 by some over weight bird and her mates with their Bingo wings flapping through the open windows.

The Astra boys round here are mostly seen at night appearing at great speed on any 30mph road while trying to get to the next drug drop, they all wear a uniform like a Dominos delivery driver but theirs is a base ball cap and an Adidas track suit and a well moody facial expression.

The Corsa is an infestation without any cure same uniform as the Astra drivers but they have bigger wheels and exhausts and even less brains, I am surprised they did not mention Fiat 500s as I have been to to pick up a good few survivors in the middle of the lanes at night where their mate has stuck it down a ditch, I even got called out to one who did not want a cab but just needed towing out and said I have a rope can you tow me out it still starts I have tried it, after I explained the second word was off I pressed the no show button and departed.

Steve.

3 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Chaps I am glad you have published this I was beginning to think it was just me or the area I work in, the BMW drivers round here don't indicate as most of them only have one hand on the wheel, normally the left hand is on the wheel the right supported by their elbow is on the door frame whilst the index finger on the right hand is supporting their nose.

The Zafira owners club is in the next town so you only get the odd one comes our way normally driven down the high street at mach 1 by some over weight bird and her mates with their Bingo wings flapping through the open windows.

The Astra boys round here are mostly seen at night appearing at great speed on any 30mph road while trying to get to the next drug drop, they all wear a uniform like a Dominos delivery driver but theirs is a base ball cap and an Adidas track suit and a well moody facial expression.

The Corsa is an infestation without any cure same uniform as the Astra drivers but they have bigger wheels and exhausts and even less brains, I am surprised they did not mention Fiat 500s as I have been to to pick up a good few survivors in the middle of the lanes at night where their mate has stuck it down a ditch, I even got called out to one who did not want a cab but just needed towing out and said I have a rope can you tow me out it still starts I have tried it, after I explained the second word was off I pressed the no show button and departed.

Steve.

That's brilliant 🤣 think you've got the nail on the head with their descriptions 😂