2018 1.4tfsi “didn’t need first service until now” claim by dealer

Drowsy1

Evening

i think I’m being mislead by an Audi dealer as he’s telling me the 1.4 tfsi only needs a service,  irrespective of time interval,  if the indicator says so.  It’s done 17k since new and never had a service till last month.   Is he right as I thought 2 years for higher mileage is ok but yearly if less than 9300.

many thanks in advance.

(I’m seeing the car tomorrow)

Hello Rob, 

Thanks for being in touch with the forum. 
Exactly how old is this car you are going to be looking at? 
As I understand it, the car can either be set on a Longlife schedule - usually if it covers a reasonably mileage - and generally the servicing comes around at c18k miles, or c18 months.  The alternative is an annual service schedule where lower than average mileages are covered. 
If this car has covered 17k in   xmonths since new, then you can work out how many services it should have had at a minimum. 
Do you know the history of ownership of the car? 
Surely there must be others about that could be considered, since the explanation you are being given sounds like ‘a salesman’s excuse’. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 2

If it's a 2018 car then as Gareth says it should of had at least 1 service of some sort irrespective of the mileage. 

Is it an audi dealer or an independent? 

Sounds like you should be careful. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  It is an official Audi dealer,  is 3 years old exactly (reg April 2018) and one owner but I haven’t seen the V 5 yet.   It had its first service in March this year.    It’s at a good price and has 2 year warranty which is why I was looking at it,  but under 6k miles a year suggested to me it should have been on fixed servicing of yearly intervals anyway,  let alone no service for 3 years.

It’s a pity as the only others around my area for the £15k mark are at independents with limited warranty.

If you don’t mind another question,  if I get a1.4 with a good history,  is it likely to be reliable to keep in excess of 70k miles?

thanks again

Thanks Rob,

I think Richard’s advice to be careful, warrants respect. 
‘One owner, haven’t seen the V5 yet’.

Disbelieve anything you are told until you actually have the hard evidence in sight. You won’t go too far wrong if you follow that principle. 
My gut feeling for what it is worth - and I could be well off the mark - this car may have been on a PCP lease, and the person leasing it may not have wanted to pay main dealer prices for servicing, and being mean!, and accepting it was not being kept beyond the 3 years, decided to take the cheapest option with regard to whatever servicing ( if any) was carried out. It could (in caps) have been serviced by any number of outlets who weren’t linked to the VAG system, so the servicing record could not have been recorded in VAG’s system, and there aren’t service books any more. No main dealer service history, but any retained receipts? 
Others at independents? Are you actually certain from the ‘small print’ that the main dealer warranty is any more comprehensive? 
Anyway, realistically, I think there is a fair chance that you will be convinced to buy it, irrespective, since logic suggests Rob, you would otherwise automatically discount it. 
Good luck with whatever you decide, and perhaps you would let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. The full story rests with the one-owner, so attempt to contact that person. 
Reg. April and first service in March, suggests it was first serviced when it was handed back in at the end of its 3 year lease. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed reply Gareth.

the salesman rang me to apologise and say that having checked further it was on a 3 year lease and the keeper handed it back without ever having it serviced.  He added that I was right that it should have had 2 services during last three years,  so I have walked away.

my search continues!

thanks again for the advice

rob

• Like 1

Good to get to the bottom of it and you clearly did the right thing in challenging them 👍 

The service history on newer vehicles is now captured electronically - I wouldn't be surprised if there is a paid service available to check service history. 

There is already one for tax and mot and you can check vehicle insurance on line. 

Thanks Rob.
If it is as he says it is, then the original leaser would have been heavily penalised for a lack of servicing when handing the car back, and the dealership were unlikely to service it and retail it - it would simply be traded out. I’m still with my gut feeling that the car had been serviced (to some extent) external to any VAG linked service logging system. Who would be daft enough to totally ignore all servicing requirements, in knowledge that they would be financially penalised at the end of lease? Having said that, company leasers may have worked out what they saved on servicing would out weigh the penalty. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1