Low oil pressure message

Karolina

Hi all, apologies I’m new here and don’t know a great deal about the cars. I am away from home (approx 200 miles) and my car showed low oil pressure message approx 3 times since yesterday and I am terrified that I damaged the engine. Oil level is apparently in tact ( I only checked  what the computer says I have no dipstick) and car seems to be driving ok but I do not know if the engine sounds any different or not. Once message popped up I switched the engine off, after a moment or two I switched back on and message was gone and no control light of oil was displayed in red. At this stage everything is shut here in Lake District where I am actually but I will try to locate a mechanic in the morning. I wanted to ask if anyone had this problem, is it common? Any views as to whether it is an oil pump or a faulty sensor ? I would appreciate any support as I’m so stressed and have a child with me so I’m hoping I can make it back home. I’m driving a5 tdi 2.0 2013

Hello Karolina,

Very sorry to hear of your plight, but fortunately, I certainly think you are doing the right thing by being cautious. If I were in your situation, I would simply be getting in touch with your breakdown service and getting them to relay the car and yourselves home. I certainly would not be attempting to drive this home. If you take it to a local garage then I would think your breakdown service may well not assist further unless that garage says they cannot fix the car. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you Gareth for your response, much appreciated. I took it to the local garage and they have been vary kind in trying to help, they are extremely busy, like any other garage here but they are attempting to check oil pressure but so far they said that everything looks to be in tact so are a little unsure of the actual issue

• Like 1