Advisory on brake disc at first MOT

Stacey_Hin

I’m looking at a 2017 A4 1.4 TFSI and when checking the MOT history have found it had an advisory on its first MOT for Offside Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened.

I’ve never owned an Audi before and I’m surprised any breaks would need attention so soon and after doing only 25k miles. 
I’ve asked the garage to put a new MOT on, the current one expires in 5 months, and asked that they replace the disc/pads. 
So I’m just looking for any opinions from Audi owners on if this is something to be concerned about? 
Thank you 😊 

Hello Stacey, 

Cutting to the chase, you could be ( most likely to be) doing yourself a disservice. Brake disc wear, and scoring is not at all uncommon following changes in the brake pad materials many years ago, which has resulted in discs wearing much quicker than they did. 
Couple this where MOT inspectors can mark this scoring on ‘Advisories’ and you arrive at your situation, although there is very little wrong at this stage. 

It’s from here that things can go in the wrong direction ‘.........I’ve asked .........they replace the replace the discs and pads..’.

What you are likely to end up with is a set of discs and pads which are the current ‘best deal’ at the local motor factors who supply parts to your garage. They are highly unlikely to/will not match the braking efficiency of genuine Audi pads, so you will be worse off. The analogy would be ‘....give me a new pair of trainers...’ , and you end up not getting the designer brand you wanted. 
My advice - for what it is worth - yes, have the car re-MOT’d, but do not allow them to replace the discs and pads. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much Gareth, I hadn’t thought of it like that. 

I was supposed to pick the car up today but the MOT hadn't been done and after really poor customer service throughout I decided to walk away. 

• Like 1