Audi A3 1.7tdi droning sound

Andrej

Dear all.

My car is producing a droning sound from front right wheel area.

The sound is always present, it is only affected by car speed, it is the worst at 60mph and it does not come up until 30mph.
There is no vibration associated, the car does not does not behave any differently. I have swapped the tyres and sound is the same (swapped left to right, front-back), tyres are new (symmetrical tread) alignment done when changing the tires back in January this year. Shifting is smooth not vibrations, clutching does not affect the sound. There is nothing loose under the car which could produce fluttering. Brake discs and pads OK no vibrations or squeaking while braking. The noise is not affected by surface of the road, it does not change when turning, CV joints look OK clean no leaks, no play on the drive shaft. I have turned the engine off while cruising and the sound remains the same.

The Car is 2013 A3 1.6TDI 130 000 miles on the clock. 

if anyone has any idea it would be appreciated. 

Thanks...

Steve

I have changed the bearing and the sound did not go away. It was quite rusty and the dust shield needs replacing due to rust. However the bearing seemed fine. I have done some more dissemble and trouble shooting. I had both wheels up and turned them around a little bit and gave them a good jiggle. I also did the same with the drive shafts. Nothing! Squeaky clean, no play, no leaks, I will swap the shafts in due course and report back. Thanks Steve for replying. 

31 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Steve

I have changed the bearing and the sound did not go away. It was quite rusty and the dust shield needs replacing due to rust. However the bearing seemed fine. I have done some more dissemble and trouble shooting. I had both wheels up and turned them around a little bit and gave them a good jiggle. I also did the same with the drive shafts. Nothing! Squeaky clean, no play, no leaks, I will swap the shafts in due course and report back. Thanks Steve for replying. 

You're welcome, I would have said driveshafts next. When mine failed my mechanic showed me a trick where if you hold the driveshaft once of the car so it's facing vertically, then give it a shake you should hear a rattle if it's failed. I did get 331k out of the original driveshafts though so mine definitely needed doing. 

• Thanks 1