A6 c8 quattro slow start from the spot issue or not?

Hi all I just wondered why audi doesn’t come up with some sort of gearbox update for everyone to download if so many people reported the same ‘issue’ I bet it would few of us very happy, we could probably do this  on our driveway. Please Audi!!!

• 3 months later...

Hello 

I had the same very issues and decided to get a TVS gearbox remap. I got sick of Audi dealers fibbing me off and telling me that it’s the characteristic of the car!

anyway enough was enough after having a extremely close call at roundabout with kids in car. I love the car so decided to pull the trigger.

best thing I have done and totally transformed the car.

Hi can u give more details about your remap mainly who did it for you and how much it cost you if you don’t mind shearing this. Your warranty is probably out the window now? And how is your fuel consumption up or down? And finally is the lot more responsive from stand still. Thanks for any info

Hello Mike 

Yes sure. I had mine in at CLP tuning in Sheffield as they were the closest to me. Cost approx £620

Improved take off from standstill with no lag at all. Better shifting through gears both on normal roads and Motorways. I opted to deactivate the auto upshifting as i like to control the gears and hated the auto up shift.

It’s what the car should have come with out of the factory.

Yes warranty is issue, but for me its worth it as car is 2019 and coming to end of warranty. fuel consumption slight improvement as its not revving its nuts off all the time now.

would i recommend it? Yes certainly if the standstill issue is causing grief as it did to me. You can always have the map put on and try if for a few days to see if you like it, if not get flashed back to standard and get refund.

TVS link-https://tvsengineering.com/tuning/audi-a6-c8-2018-2-0-tdi-204hp-40-tdi-tuning/

• 7 months later...

I have the same car and it’s done this from day one (brand new).  It’s on a lease and I can’t wait to hand it back.  Audi say they are all the same.  I say it’s terrible!  Swapping it for a new 3 series!

• Like 1

I had the same. Had 3 c8 in a 6 month period. All handed back and finally got all my money back and bought a VW touareg R line tech. The finish was a little better in the Audi but the VW is head and shoulders about the A6 is every other way. Has seriously put me off buying another audi again. Especially coming from a 330d GT which was close to perfect. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 10:20 AM, Bott said:

I also hav an A6 Avant c8 40 tdi but no quattro and experience exactly the same thing- it is a known issue with this gearbox/ car and alot of the reviews of the car talk about it. It does nothing then suddenly the revs jump and the front wheels struggle for grip. It's not an issue with your car its an isue with all of them.

This!

I have test driven (more than 24hrs) all but the 40TFSI engine variants of the C8,A6. It seems this specific problem to me relates only to the 2.0 tdi engine. I think it is caused by the start-stop function thus affecting throttle position sensor & electronic torque control resulting in some dangerous hesitation off the mark.

This has happened to me at junctions and roundabouts and is more prevalent on round abouts as you come to a stop (<10mph) the engine decides to switch off then kick back on.  having worked in the motortrade on hearing 'this is normal operating parameters for the vehicle' you know this is automotive language for 'yes sir, we know about it but according to warranty this is normal until everyone reports the same problem and they do a software patch (recall).'

For those wondering... The reason i did not go for the v6 variants was purely down to tax/economical purposes. 

Edited by Optimus

• 3 months later...

I own the A6 C8 quattro 40tdi for the past 3.5 years and I have the same problem. I'm not sure what car the people that say they dont have an issue are driving, but this is a known issue with this model. I even had an Audi engineer ride with me for half an hour to show me around the car and I showed him the 2-3secs delay from flooring the pedal to the car accelerating. He claimed it's a safety feature but obviously they messed up during design.

The first year or so I wanted to sell it and get something that won't get me into an accident. I'm now used to it and I'm waiting at roundabouts instead of risking it (I live in Milton Keynes so you can imagine). Another way is to learn to rev the car barely so it doesn't accelerate but enough for it to save you ~1sec at the roundabout.

I've found sticking it in sports mode at junctions or roundabouts is less likely to switch off the engine with additional sharper gear changes to suit the pull off.

Otherwise most of my pull aways are slow and certainly don't make much head way in the flow of traffic going 30mph+.

User top-tip, if you want to avoid being rear ended!

• 4 months later...

Just Had mine in for a anti-roll bar re-call, along with this an engine software update appears to have made this issue a bit better.

Anyone else had the update and noticed an improvement or am i overthinking it