Key battery replacement issue

skynet600

Hello all,

I got a battery low warning for the first time today. Annoyingly the day after it was serviced by the dealer! Anyway it seems this is a consumable part and customer replaceable. Unfortunately for me I did this and snapped the battery holder. It seems rather fragile actually and a bit of a design flaw. Fortunately the Key still works but unfortunately the holder isn’t replaceable as a part. You have to buy the whole transmitter at over £230 a pop!

I’m just wondering if this is a common problem and if there is a source for these?  

Thanks,

Russ.

image.jpg

It looks like you can try to push the broken bit back down? 

The top of the key will hold it in place worst case. 

I'm pretty sure that what you have broken is just the battery holder. 

You could buy a replacement "no brand" key and take the battery holder out - something like this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Remote-Key-Shell-Case-Fob-3-Button-Audi-A4-A5-S4-S5-Q7-SQ7-2017-Up-/254849071437?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjwh_eFBhDZARIsALHjIKd86zcJ9hKB97xpeqD720J1FW_rfAL5DlIW0LECe2SD69nj-gZRUJsaAoktEALw_wcB

You could also Google audi A5 key fob battery holder. 

Thank. Yes it does go back into place and works fine. Just need to be careful next time. I was asking more around if this is common. Maybe I was just heavy handed. 

31 minutes ago, skynet600 said:

Thank. Yes it does go back into place and works fine. Just need to be careful next time. I was asking more around if this is common. Maybe I was just heavy handed. 

Yes it's really tricky to get the holder released and even putting it back in is tough because it's not obvious which way round it goes. 

If you have a 2019 model I guess you have 2 keys? 

The batteries seem to only last a couple of years. 

There is a trick for starting the car if the key battery is low or dead - place the back of the key on the centre console - it's in the manual under "starting the engine"