Brake Servo Restricted

FADEC

I have just had the above warning appear on my A5 MY17 2.0 TFSI, with advice that you can continue to drive the car. Luckily, I came across this lengthy thread on the A4 forum which I feel is worth linking, as the fix is simple and the consequences of continuing to drive could be expensive. The fault caused by the brake servo sensor seems to be mainly in the MY17.

I also mentioned in the thread to avoid some online .co.uk parts companies that are actually based in Germany and seem take forever to dispatch orders.

https://www.audiownersclub.com/forums/topic/13415-brake-servo-restricted/

• 9 months later...

Hi 

I have got the same error message ( brake servo / auto start stop fault) this morning.

when I rang Slough audi and the service guy acted like he had heard that error message for the first time. I even needed to spell “servo”.

anyway I got the quote £260 only for inspection and they would probably charge another £250 for sensor change.

Is this the regular process for this issue ?

and what do you guys reckon if I pop in to a local garage and have them look and sort out ?

Thanks

Ahmet 

5 hours ago, Ahmet said:

Hi 

I have got the same error message ( brake servo / auto start stop fault) this morning.

when I rang Slough audi and the service guy acted like he had heard that error message for the first time. I even needed to spell “servo”.

anyway I got the quote £260 only for inspection and they would probably charge another £250 for sensor change.

and what do you guys reckon if I pop in to a local garage and have them look and sort out ?

Thanks

Ahmet 

Hi if you know what the problem is take it to an independent garage it will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Steve.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've just had the same warning come up on my A5 Sportback (2018) 2.0 TFSI.

I'm going to get myself a replacement brake servo sensor, but does anyone know if there's a major difference between part numbers:

5Q0906207 and 5Q0906207B ?

As far as I understand the 5Q0906207B is backwards compatible but I don't know which part number I should be going for!

Also do people recommend going for an OEM part (VEMO) which seem to cost around £70 or a generic brand which cost around £10-20?!

Thanks

22 minutes ago, kh904 said:

Hi guys,

I've just had the same warning come up on my A5 Sportback (2018) 2.0 TFSI.

I'm going to get myself a replacement brake servo sensor, but does anyone know if there's a major difference between part numbers:

5Q0906207 and 5Q0906207B ?

As far as I understand the 5Q0906207B is backwards compatible but I don't know which part number I should be going for!

Also do people recommend going for an OEM part (VEMO) which seem to cost around £70 or a generic brand which cost around £10-20?!

Thanks

Go for which ever one has the newest letter. Ie B is the updated part from.the one ending in A etc. 

• Like 1

Thanks Steve Q!

So it won't be an issue if can only get my hands on the part ending in A?

I wonder what the actual difference is between the 2? Better design/engineering internally?

What about the brand/manufacturer? The price varies quite a lot £10-£80!

8 hours ago, kh904 said:

Thanks Steve Q!

So it won't be an issue if can only get my hands on the part ending in A?

I wonder what the actual difference is between the 2? Better design/engineering internally?

What about the brand/manufacturer? The price varies quite a lot £10-£80!

You're welcome 🙂 In theory no, but if it were mine id try and get the up to date part and a genuine one at that. As is the age old saying "you get what you pay for". 

• Like 1

It was by pure coincidence that I was driving to someone's house yesterday to run an Obd11 scan on their car when my warning message popped up. I drove the car twice (there and back) and did around a total of 15 miles!

As soon as I got home, I ran the obd11 scan on my car and got the fault codes:

• C11EC04 - Brake Booster pressure sensor faulty
  • U041500 - Invalid Data received from Anti-lock brake system control module

I'm not sure if the 2nd fault code is triggered due to the 1st?

I searched online and found this site and THANK GOD i did, as the results could have been extremely expensive if I assumed that it was ok to continue to drive (as per the warning info saying that I can 'continue driving').

To say i'm livid with Audi and the way they have washed there hands with the issue from other owners is an understatement! If they have received lots and lots of complaints from people with the same fault, then they really need to send out a recall notice!

Fingers-crossed I haven't bricked my abs system!

I curious to know that there is some of of 'counter' in the ABS system and if you reach 20 cycles (I think), then the ABS system bricks and you are left with a huge bill to replace.

What would constitute 1 cycle and if I replace the brake servo pressure sensor (run obd11 and clear the faults), does the counter reset to zero or permanently log the fault?

6 hours ago, kh904 said:

It was by pure coincidence that I was driving to someone's house yesterday to run an Obd11 scan on their car when my warning message popped up. I drove the car twice (there and back) and did around a total of 15 miles!

As soon as I got home, I ran the obd11 scan on my car and got the fault codes:

• C11EC04 - Brake Booster pressure sensor faulty
  • U041500 - Invalid Data received from Anti-lock brake system control module

I'm not sure if the 2nd fault code is triggered due to the 1st?

I searched online and found this site and THANK GOD i did, as the results could have been extremely expensive if I assumed that it was ok to continue to drive (as per the warning info saying that I can 'continue driving').

To say i'm livid with Audi and the way they have washed there hands with the issue from other owners is an understatement! If they have received lots and lots of complaints from people with the same fault, then they really need to send out a recall notice!

Fingers-crossed I haven't bricked my abs system!

I curious to know that there is some of of 'counter' in the ABS system and if you reach 20 cycles (I think), then the ABS system bricks and you are left with a huge bill to replace.

What would constitute 1 cycle and if I replace the brake servo pressure sensor (run obd11 and clear the faults), does the counter reset to zero or permanently log the fault?

Very good question, not sure what a full cycle would be to be honest. 

• Like 1

Ok, so an update....

I called the local Audi dealer and checked if they had the part in stock and they had 1 left (part number ending in B) which I reserved.

It cost me £84.42.

I got there and spoke to the parts guy and asked if they had many people come in for this part and he said yes and one person came in yesterday with a similar problem.

To told him it's naughty from Audi as they/car dashboard are giving misleading information and he agreed.

Anyway I got home and replaced the part - it's so easy that nobody should ever need to pay anyone else to change it. It took me 2 minutes (if that)! Shame on any garage charging more than 5min labour!

Anyway, I started the car and so far I haven't had the warning light come on, but then again I only reversed a few meters back and forward in my drive. I will have to take it for a longer drive later when the roads are clearer to confirm that it's sorted!

Looking back, the fact that the start/stop function was intermittent for a while maybe was a sign that there was a fault/sensor was failing, before the actual dashboard gave a warning!

I would highly recommend getting a obd scanner too (which I recently purchased a couple of months ago) and it really helps to narrow down the issue and search on the net for advice - that's how I found this forum!

Many thanks to all those who have contributed to this and the other main thread!

Edited by kh904
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, kh904 said:

Ok, so an update....

I called the local Audi dealer and checked if they had the part in stock and they had 1 left (part number ending in B) which I reserved.

It cost me £84.42.

I got there and spoke to the parts guy and asked if they had many people come in for this part and he said yes and one person came in yesterday with a similar problem.

To told him it's naughty from Audi as they/car dashboard are giving misleading information and he agreed.

Anyway I got home and replaced the part - it's so easy that nobody should ever need to pay anyone else to change it. It took me 2 minutes (if that)! Shame on any garage charging more than 5min labour!

Anyway, I started the car and so far I haven't had the warning light come on, but then again I only reversed a few meters back and forward in my drive. I will have to take it for a longer drive later when the roads are clearer to confirm that it's sorted!

Looking back, the fact that the start/stop function was intermittent for a while maybe was a sign that there was a fault/sensor was failing, before the actual dashboard gave a warning!

I would highly recommend getting a obd scanner too (which I recently purchased a couple of months ago) and it really helps to narrow down the issue and search on the net for advice - that's how I found this forum!

Many thanks to all those who have contributed to this and the other main thread!

You're most welcome 🙂 glad you got sorted. It's nice when the forum has helped members 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Same problem as all the others. Same warning on dash.

Local independent garage to do the fix tomorrow. Hope it is as easy as previous contributors say it is. Thank you  Matt

4 hours ago, Matt Erskine said:

Same problem as all the others. Same warning on dash.

Local independent garage to do the fix tomorrow. Hope it is as easy as previous contributors say it is. Thank you  Matt

Glad its helped you. Fingers crossed it sorts it 🙂

Same problem with Q5 (2019). Taking dealer 1 day to diagnose the problem, then a day to fit in the part. Part in stock. Cost 146e! Can someone tell me if it really takes 5 min to fit the sensor in the Q5?... before I eat the head of them.. thx a mill

34 minutes ago, Alex m said:

took me 5 mins on an audi a4 allroad, part cost me 90£ 

I found a youtube tutorial.. 1.54 min.... I am disgusted with them...no one answers the phone... I still don't have the car back...

5 minutes ago, Alex m said:

Tell them not to touch it. buy the part and change it on their forecourt. driving it with this warning may stuff ur ABS. 

They have it since yesterday. I waited 2 weeks for the appointment. I was driving for 2 weeks!

I really think audi need to step up and admit liability with this one. Hope ur ABS has held out. Given its been driven for two weeks you might be worth having them put it through their system to check on the brakes. When i called audi with this error they wanted me to have it recovered into their shop to look at. They did mention that they may cover half of the cost. 

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all the info posted, I had this warning on my a5 petrol 67 plate and it was the easiest fix I have done, took  less than 5 minutes. I looked at the video posted on you tube and the only issue that I thought I would have was the air escaping when the sensor is removed as I thought it may have to be re-pressurised but having spoken to someone  regarding this I was assured the servo would do its job which it did, I used a proper Audi part which cost £85. Audi wanted the car for a day to put on diagnostics at the usual exorbitant costs. Once again thanks to all, saved me wasting m6 time and money.

On 3/22/2022 at 11:54 AM, Ahmet said:

Hi 

when I rang Slough Audi and the service guy acted like he had heard that error message for the first time. I even needed to spell “servo”.

Thanks

Ahmet 

Hi, is it sorted? If yes, could you please tell me what was the problem and how did you get it fixed? I have the same error come up this morning and after 6 hours its still there. Would appreciate your help. Thank you

22 hours ago, Khan229 said:

Hi, is it sorted? If yes, could you please tell me what was the problem and how did you get it fixed? I have the same error come up this morning and after 6 hours its still there. Would appreciate your help. Thank you

Just buy the replacement switch and fit it.