Do I need a Faraday pouch?

Andrew.J

Hi all. Just joined this forum today and also just acquired a 2016 A4 Avant (1.4 petrol)

It's the first keyless car I've ever had. It has a push button to start and stop the engine but I still have to unlock and lock the car via the buttons on the key fob (it doesn't unlock on approaching the car) 

I do have a Faraday pouch but strictly speaking, do I really need it since my car doesn't seen to be keyless entry?

I'm sure I read somewhere that some are just Keyless Go and some have 'convenience' keys which give keyless entry.

Any advice will be great.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I had the same dillema when I got my 2019 A4 that has the same function as yours. After looking into it it would seem a Faraday pouch is not necessary, but I do have one. I'm really pleased my car is not fitted with the auto lock / unlock facility!

• 3 weeks later...

I too have just got an A4 Avant which is keyless entry and start ,  l already have a faraday pouch though not sure it works as the doors an be opened with the keys in the pouch next to the car ! I also have a steering lock to be on the safe side  .

• 2 months later...
what type of pouch are you using? a fold over style or the type that rolls and secures with velcro?
also keep in mind some RF pouches that are specific for key fobs allow transmission at very close distances for exactly that reason. I think a pouch with 2 layers allows transmission if you are touching the car, but will stop a device attempting to capture the freq. 3 layer pouches block it competely even if its not sealed correctly.

1 hour ago, GiantJay said:

what type of pouch are you using? a fold over style or the type that rolls and secures with velcro?
also keep in mind some RF pouches that are specific for key fobs allow transmission at very close distances for exactly that reason. I think a pouch with 2 layers allows transmission if you are touching the car, but will stop a device attempting to capture the freq. 3 layer pouches block it competely even if its not sealed correctly.

The one I use ,has a fold over, a bit like a wallet. It also has a lining which is supposed to help.  I also use a steering lock as backup.   I’ve had no problems, but it pays to be vigilant . An owner at the end of my short road with a high end BMW had an attempted break in a couple of weeks ago. 3 guys were in the process of raising a ladder to his bedroom window at 1.30 am !  Obviously to get to them before they raised the alarm !  Neighbours wife saw this, shouted for partner to call cops, which the bad guys heard, so smashed their windows for good measure!  Hate to think what might have happened,had they got in the first house !

wow, imagine if they applied the same work ethic and inginiuity to legitimate enterprise! 

I think the issue is your pouch type. the fold-over type doesnt provide enough protection for targeted attacks like the one you mentioned. 

for example if someone wants to capture your key codes and they see you using a folding RF pouch they just might decide to follow you on foot and wait to get close enough to exploit the pouch. Honestly, i dont think its a far off possibility either these days.  

best option is use a pouch designed for phones. I use a Mission Darkness windowless pouch. you roll the top and it secures with velcro. i also keep other items in it so its convenient.

option 2 is get a sturdy black rubberband. use it to secure the flap on the fold-over flap to minimize opening. 

also its good practice to replace the pouch if the RF fabric inside starts to wear down from the fob going in and out. 

On 11/6/2021 at 8:15 AM, GiantJay said:

I've got an "OLIXAR" folding fob pouch. To be honest, I only keep my spare fob in it. I don't have keyless-entry with my car, thank goodness, although that feature seems to be fitted on more and more vehicles these days.

On 6/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, Andrew.J said:

Hi all. Just joined this forum today and also just acquired a 2016 A4 Avant (1.4 petrol)

It's the first keyless car I've ever had. It has a push button to start and stop the engine but I still have to unlock and lock the car via the buttons on the key fob (it doesn't unlock on approaching the car) 

I do have a Faraday pouch but strictly speaking, do I really need it since my car doesn't seen to be keyless entry?

I'm sure I read somewhere that some are just Keyless Go and some have 'convenience' keys which give keyless entry.

Any advice will be great.

Thank you.

Hi Andrew,
My A4 Avant has the same system as yours that I'm pleased about! I don't feel the need for a pouch.

On 11/7/2021 at 7:12 AM, GiantJay said:

wow, imagine if they applied the same work ethic and inginiuity to legitimate enterprise! 

I think the issue is your pouch type. the fold-over type doesnt provide enough protection for targeted attacks like the one you mentioned. 

for example if someone wants to capture your key codes and they see you using a folding RF pouch they just might decide to follow you on foot and wait to get close enough to exploit the pouch. Honestly, i dont think its a far off possibility either these days.  

best option is use a pouch designed for phones. I use a Mission Darkness windowless pouch. you roll the top and it secures with velcro. i also keep other items in it so its convenient.

option 2 is get a sturdy black rubberband. use it to secure the flap on the fold-over flap to minimize opening. 

also its good practice to replace the pouch if the RF fabric inside starts to wear down from the fob going in and out. 

Thanks Brett I’ll have a look at that one.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:15 AM, GiantJay said: