Engine noise from cold start

pking1

No because now I know it’s the pulley and not the starter motor I’m not too worried about it, plus I got 12 months warranty on the car when I purchased it so if it decides to get worse then I’ll get it sorted 

• Like 1

i tried removing the clutch pulley from the alternator....no chance..... i was thinking of changing it because i changed the other 2 pulleys and aux belt.i havent read all this but is it too much to remove the auxillary belt and then turn the pulley by hand to be certain.but i would be inclined to agree with Covvo that it is that.

3 minutes ago, alpha omega said:

i tried removing the clutch pulley from the alternator....no chance..... i was thinking of changing it because i changed the other 2 pulleys and aux belt.i havent read all this but is it too much to remove the auxillary belt and then turn the pulley by hand to be certain.but i would be inclined to agree with Covvo that it is that.

On my Audi A1 it’s quite easy to get close to, so I got the Wife to start the car while I had my ear about 20 mm from the pulley, and it’s definitely the source of the noise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Covvo said:

No because now I know it’s the pulley and not the starter motor I’m not too worried about it, plus I got 12 months warranty on the car when I purchased it so if it decides to get worse then I’ll get it sorted 

We've had the Golf for 2 years now, and it hasn't got noticeably worse.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I thought about this topic earlier when I heard the same noise coming from the neighbours new car when it started up.

It's a Seat Ibiza 2016 

• 4 months later...

F851416F-AE13-4135-A938-52B46529989B.jpeg.a7469e4ccfb8c056b8818f05ae237ed2.jpegF851416F-AE13-4135-A938-52B46529989B.jpeg.a7469e4ccfb8c056b8818f05ae237ed2.jpegHi I’m wondering if anyone may know what this noise could be on cold start. 

the car has recently had new alternator , new mechatronic motor/pump and accumulator. The noise has been there through all of these above issues and still present. 

it’s a 2014 a1 1.4 TFSI automatic 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated 

Edited by Andrew Little