New S4 owner

ninjag

Hi, I recently sold my Jaguar XF and I'm now brand new to Audi having never owned or driven one before. I managed to find a nice S4 B8.5 Avant and now the usual new (used) car task of doing all the fluids begins, starting with the engine oil and DSG fluid and later I'll do the diffs and brake fluid when the brakes need doing. 

Would anyone be able to recommend on the best places to buy parts and fluids for the S4? The usual suspects are ECP and Opie Oils but I'm wondering if there's anywhere which is more specific for Audi stuff?

Also, I've looked everywhere but can't find a service schedule for the B8.5, is there one available online somewhere which someone could point me to as it would be greatly appreciated?

It's nice no longer having that moment of fear every time you start the car and I'm looking forward to many happy miles and smiles with the S4!

Thanks

Graham

Ninjag,

Hello and welcome to the club.

I would have thought all the car fluids etc would have been changed by the seller during service?

Hi I think your strategy of changing the oils and fluids is an excellent idea as I very much doubt they would have changed the gearbox oil or the diff oil unless asked and at least you start again from zero, Opie is a good shout as most of the gear oil etc they sell is good quality I bought my gear oil from them as they do quite a nice range of Fuchs titan oil which is oe on a lot of German gear boxes, engine oil is normally Quantum and the filters Bosch, Hengst, Mann all varying prices on eBay, try a site called Carparts in motion.

Steve. 

Thanks all. I like to replace all fluids just so I know it's been done. A belt and braces type thing, especially with the transmission fluid. I don't really trust main dealers (or main dealer service history), so a good indy is always my preference when it comes to stuff I can't do myself. 

I'm at 60k miles so I suspect some suspension wear will pop up soon. I've scanned all the modules with my Autel and there were some codes coming up, so I cleared them and so far they haven't returned, so hopefully just old codes. 

So far I'm very happy with the car, it's a difference beast compared to the XF but already I tell it's put together better. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Put new plugs in today, a little time consuming but no drama and the coils came out nicely thanks to a tip a guy on a Facebook group posted about using tie wraps. Old plugs were pretty worn. 

I've got the fluid and external filter plus o-rings, plugs etc for the DSG service but still wondering if I should also change the internal filter? The parts desk at AUDI said it was a non serviceable item and I was just creating extra work for myself, although if I really wanted he would order the parts (filter, stretch bolts, gasket, etc). 

The internal part is apparently classed as a strainer, but I've seen it cut open and it's definitely a filter and actually looks similar to a regular air filter. 

Is it really necessary to do the internals of AUDI themselves say it's not required? 

• 9 months later...
On 7/2/2021 at 6:39 PM, Obasa said:

Ninjag,

Hello and welcome to the club.

I would have thought all the car fluids etc would have been changed by the seller during service?

I also thought as much, but I discovered that despite the full AUDI main dealer service history, the DSG fluid was not done at 40k miles. Apparently, it's a separate and discretionary service item and whoever had the car at this time was a cheapskate. I queried this with AUDI HQ and that the full service history was misleading to say the least. They basically flicked me away with their finger lol

On 7/2/2021 at 7:56 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi I think your strategy of changing the oils and fluids is an excellent idea as I very much doubt they would have changed the gearbox oil or the diff oil unless asked and at least you start again from zero, Opie is a good shout as most of the gear oil etc they sell is good quality I bought my gear oil from them as they do quite a nice range of Fuchs titan oil which is oe on a lot of German gear boxes, engine oil is normally Quantum and the filters Bosch, Hengst, Mann all varying prices on eBay, try a site called Carparts in motion.

Steve. 

Aye for sure. I did the DSG fluid and external filter not long after getting the car at 60k miles and thankfully it's been fine. I've now done the rest of the 'transmission/front diff (final drive)/transfer' case today with genuine AUDI gear oil - !Removed! expensive. I was tempted to use Opie Oils but in the workshop manual it mentions that the AUDI genuine stuff has an additive for the transfer case so I didn't want to take the risk with third party. There was also a mixture of options from GL4, GL4+ GL5/GL5 and GL5 which again steered me back to genuine. I'll probably never have to do it again so for all the extra cost. The AUDI parts guy was giving me a hard time over getting the fluid, claiming it as sealed for life but admitted that this was 100k miles. They only stocked 1 litre so I got it online from AUDI in Wales instead. 

I also did the rear diff today using genuine fluid so that's all my fluids up-to-date now except brake fluid. I'll probably do it next year as the brake are still sharp as ever.

6 hours ago, ninjag said:

I also thought as much, but I discovered that despite the full AUDI main dealer service history, the DSG fluid was not done at 40k miles. Apparently, it's a separate and discretionary service item and whoever had the car at this time was a cheapskate. I queried this with AUDI HQ and that the full service history was misleading to say the least. They basically flicked me away with their finger lol

Aye for sure. I did the DSG fluid and external filter not long after getting the car at 60k miles and thankfully it's been fine. I've now done the rest of the 'transmission/front diff (final drive)/transfer' case today with genuine AUDI gear oil - !Removed! expensive. I was tempted to use Opie Oils but in the workshop manual it mentions that the AUDI genuine stuff has an additive for the transfer case so I didn't want to take the risk with third party. There was also a mixture of options from GL4, GL4+ GL5/GL5 and GL5 which again steered me back to genuine. I'll probably never have to do it again so for all the extra cost. The AUDI parts guy was giving me a hard time over getting the fluid, claiming it as sealed for life but admitted that this was 100k miles. They only stocked 1 litre so I got it online from AUDI in Wales instead. 

I also did the rear diff today using genuine fluid so that's all my fluids up-to-date now except brake fluid. I'll probably do it next year as the brake are still sharp as ever.

I do agree if the gearbox hasn't been serviced then they can't say full history. Also sealed for life is misleading and nonsense too, especially if they're saying it has to be changed at 100k. Almost implies Audi don't think their products can do more than a 100k lol. Then again they want them to die asap so they can sell you another car or at the very least in your case a diff! Just think if the car was to last 20 years like my a6 has done what state that diff oil would be in 😬

• Like 1

Hello Graham,

I too applaud your method of establishing a sound maintenance basing point from where to go forward from, and since the gearbox oil change  has been termed ‘ discretionary’ then the fact the earlier owner decided not to get it done, would not -in my book- eliminate the car from a justifiable claim to ‘full service  history’.
To be fair to the owner who decided not to get it done, that decision may not necessarily been his, but could have rested with a leasing company for example. Again, the decision may well have been his, and he decided not to get it done since he was not keeping it longer term - not necessarily a cheapskate decision. 
Parts? Can we take it your Wales contact for discount Audi parts was Audi Parts Cardiff?  ( part of Cardiff Audi/ Mon Motors). I’ve bought from them, and have been pleased with their discount and service. I’ve also bought from Aberdeen Audi, and been equally happy with the same service.

Enjoy the car.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Aye that's the place. Very helpful and ship very quickly. It's probably easier than finding the time to get to the local Audi during their opening hours, wait ages for their staff to disappear off into the back and also put up with their not always so friendly attitude. 

2 hours ago, ninjag said:

Aye that's the place. Very helpful and ship very quickly. It's probably easier than finding the time to get to the local Audi during their opening hours, wait ages for their staff to disappear off into the back and also put up with their not always so friendly attitude. 

Hi why would they be friendly as in their honest no shiiite opinion they have got you by the short and curlys, you need the part and they have it so why waste precious time and oxygen on customer service most of my local dealers are the same including TPS until they found out the garage I use for the complex stuff, clutches, timing belts, was ringing up and quoting the same registration I had enquired with, the change in attitude was amazing as my guy spends about 15 grand a year with TPS, don't suppose that would have anything to do with it.

Steve.

Many thanks Steve,

I think most of us with no in-trade connections can only expect to pay retail prices for parts at our main dealers. In my experience, TPS will only quote/ sell to account holders, so no use there to your average DIYer. 

Again, I can only report from personal experience, but Audi Parts Cardiff, and Aberdeen Audi have provided me with genuine VAG parts mail order and at a discount - which is great in my book. I must say that the the service and welcoming attitude over the phone, has been what I had hoped for, and I have been pleased to deal with them - being of an age where I only want to do business with friendly retailers, and have an increasing lack of respect for anything short of good and friendly manners. 
Not sure what Graham’s experience has been like -? 
Kind regards, 

Gareth.

p.s. No connection with either business. 

27 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi why would they be friendly as in their honest no shiiite opinion they have got you by the short and curlys, you need the part and they have it so why waste precious time and oxygen on customer service most of my local dealers are the same including TPS until they found out the garage I use for the complex stuff, clutches, timing belts, was ringing up and quoting the same registration I had enquired with, the change in attitude was amazing as my guy spends about 15 grand a year with TPS, don't suppose that would have anything to do with it.

Steve.

I get what you are saying but I'm not sure they have me by the short and curlys because when it came to the transmission gear oil they didn't have what I needed, they only had 1 litre and said they would have to order the rest in.

His argumentative and unfriendly attitude meant that I didn't want to waste my precious time and oxygen (and fuel) going back, so I went elsewhere and had it conveniently delivered. When I called the other place after ordering to see if I could get it promptly, they were more than obliging and sent it out straight away. 

I think from now on if I don't need it same day then I'll use the online place as I don't like having to justify my order to them every time. Besides, the new RS6 Avant is no longer in the showroom to drool over lol

• Like 2