Audi A6 3.0bitdi - Low Rev, Engine Judder

One1ship

Hi, has any other user experienced random power fluctuations/judder between 1000-1400rpm?

My car has the issue and it is quite random. Engine can be both hot or cold. 

Audi UK at first classed this as an ‘Engine Characteristic’ but eventually raised an internal bulletin that cannot be shared Jul2020.

I’ve had nothing in writing from Audi UK acknowledging the problem or guaranteeing to fix it under warranty when a solution is available despite raising this with them.

Does anyone have a similar story on the engine issue and how have you dealt with and left it with Audi? I did request that associated parts/systems of my Engine be granted an extended warranty until the cause is known and fixed, but the Audi rep that dealt with my case was having none of it. 

Any advice would be welcome. 
Thank you

Mark

Hi by the sound of the fault I would hazard  a guess at it being the throttle valve but like all manufacturers they are fending off potential warranty claims as they hope to have nothing but golf carts for sale in the not to distant future.

Steve.

Very interested to see how this post develops. I have a 2018 with about 28500 miles on it.

I have exactly the same issue, which I notice on occasion when in gear too. I’m not very technical, but I’d say it feels like it is misfiring somehow. 

Diagnostic check is all clear. No fault codes on anything. 

Ive been ‘assured’ it is perfectly normal, but at its worst it can shake the whole car. 

Be interested to a bit more about this internal memo?

Hi, the fault can happen hot or cold in any gear for me. I notice it less when the car is going faster because of the speed/momentum. It is the Rev range that is key. 

Coventry Audi would not continue investigation on my car because, like you say, no fault codes. They had also done extensive diag on another BiTdi in conjunction with Audi and the conclusion was an engine characteristic. I got a 2nd opinion with the help of Audi UK with Cambridge Audi. Cambridge Audi found that there is an internal bulletin (won’t share a reference) that was released jul2020. It states that they are now investigating a fix as there are now enough of us.

I wanted Audi to extend my warranty for ‘related parts’ but they have refused. Mine is a feb18 car with 49K. It began after a year old, ~20K. 
I just purchased a 3yr warranty anyway, as it is becoming a little more frequent.

rang Cambridge Audi last week and there is still no fix recorded. Sorry I can’t give you a reference but this is them keeping it close to their chests

2 minutes ago, One1ship said:

Hi, the fault can happen hot or cold in any gear for me. I notice it less when the car is going faster because of the speed/momentum. It is the Rev range that is key. 

Coventry Audi would not continue investigation on my car because, like you say, no fault codes. They had also done extensive diag on another BiTdi in conjunction with Audi and the conclusion was an engine characteristic. I got a 2nd opinion with the help of Audi UK with Cambridge Audi. Cambridge Audi found that there is an internal bulletin (won’t share a reference) that was released jul2020. It states that they are now investigating a fix as there are now enough of us.

I wanted Audi to extend my warranty for ‘related parts’ but they have refused. Mine is a feb18 car with 49K. It began after a year old, ~20K. 
I just purchased a 3yr warranty anyway, as it is becoming a little more frequent.

rang Cambridge Audi last week and there is still no fix recorded. Sorry I can’t give you a reference but this is them keeping it close to their chests

Sorry to repeat loads of the original post

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, does it occur only in certain car settings? Dynamic and Individual for instance? I have the 2013 BiTDi with 90k on the clock and never had anything like this.

• 1 year later...

On 7/13/2021 at 11:06 AM, One1ship said:

Hi, has any other user experienced random power fluctuations/judder between 1000-1400rpm?

My car has the issue and it is quite random. Engine can be both hot or cold. 

Audi UK at first classed this as an ‘Engine Characteristic’ but eventually raised an internal bulletin that cannot be shared Jul2020.

I’ve had nothing in writing from Audi UK acknowledging the problem or guaranteeing to fix it under warranty when a solution is available despite raising this with them.

Does anyone have a similar story on the engine issue and how have you dealt with and left it with Audi? I did request that associated parts/systems of my Engine be granted an extended warranty until the cause is known and fixed, but the Audi rep that dealt with my case was having none of it. 

Any advice would be welcome. 
Thank you

Mark

Hi, did you manage to find the problem? Unfortunately, I’m having the same issue.

16 hours ago, Bence99 said:

Hi, did you manage to find the problem? Unfortunately, I’m having the same issue.

Yes I did. 
There is a new ECU SW version available. 
my dealer found it amongst technical bulletins by searching the word ‘judder’ 

New SW plus a clean to the inlet manifold. 

It got quite bad in the end. I’ve done 400+ miles since (2week) and it has not reoccurred and it would have, so I am quite happy.

I’ve fought with Audi UK for over 2 years with this, and my dealer seemed to think this fix would be chargeable for others.  I’d fight that as with me, this was reported well within the warranty period. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply.

It is interesting, because I had my car checked in january and it had the latest softwares, both the engine and the transmission. 
Do you by any chance know, if is this a fairly new update?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Bence99 said:

Thank you for your reply.

It is interesting, because I had my car checked in january and it had the latest softwares, both the engine and the transmission. 
Do you by any chance know, if is this a fairly new update?

Thanks.

Yes… I was told it was available from Jan22. My ecu was rev8 which was apparently affected

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 2:30 PM, One1ship said:

Yes I did. 
There is a new ECU SW version available. 
my dealer found it amongst technical bulletins by searching the word ‘judder’ 

New SW plus a clean to the inlet manifold. 

It got quite bad in the end. I’ve done 400+ miles since (2week) and it has not reoccurred and it would have, so I am quite happy.

I’ve fought with Audi UK for over 2 years with this, and my dealer seemed to think this fix would be chargeable for others.  I’d fight that as with me, this was reported well within the warranty period. Good luck!

hi i have the same problem, which audi dealer did you use? is this update free ?

many thanks chris 

1 hour ago, cdavies said:

hi i have the same problem, which audi dealer did you use? is this update free ?

many thanks chris 

Hi, I used Coventry Audi. I doubt it is free.  Mine was done under Audi UK authorisation after a 2-3 year battle. If you have a similar history, perhaps

• 1 year later...

Hi, my car A6 C7 3.0BiTdi has just been in for diagnostics at B'ham Audi. Mechanic took for a drive could feel the judder a bit but had no idea what was causing it, and no diagnostic code registered. Same problem as reported above happens at low revs when crawling in traffic mainly. Its also intermittent but suspect it will get worse. I'm going to try and run this by them and see what they say. I have an extended warranty on car but its not an audi warranty. Good thing is they didn't charge for the diagnostic!

15 hours ago, Hammers said:

Hi, my car A6 C7 3.0BiTdi has just been in for diagnostics at B'ham Audi. Mechanic took for a drive could feel the judder a bit but had no idea what was causing it, and no diagnostic code registered. Same problem as reported above happens at low revs when crawling in traffic mainly. Its also intermittent but suspect it will get worse. I'm going to try and run this by them and see what they say. I have an extended warranty on car but its not an audi warranty. Good thing is they didn't charge for the diagnostic!

Hi, try cleaning the intake manifold first, and if it doesn’t help try blanking off the egr valve. That was the solution in my case. Before I changed all 6 injectors, the HPFP, fuel pressure sensor, fuel pressure regulator, but none of them solved the problem.