strange noise when accelerating, what could it be, video attached.

arron1995

when i accelerate i get a strange sort of metallic/rustling noise, its quite hard to describe, it only does it when i accelerate, if i put the car into neutral when im driving and rev the engine, the noise doesn't occur, its not the best of videos so you will need to up the volume, but best heard at 3-5 seconds and 18 seconds and onwards (ignore the noise in the middle of the video, thats my loud discs when i brake), what could it be, ive had the car for about 5000 miles and been the same throughout.

20 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

I hear nothing but uniform road noise throughout the whole clip. You'll need to provide a better recording and a better description if we are to help, otherwise random guesses is all we can provide.

whilst i accelerate and only when i accelerate, doesnt do it in neutral etc, i get this sort of hiss/swirling noise, if i have both windows down i can hear it louder, say for example i change to 3rd gear and accelerate, i hear it, if i let off and then press the throttle again it starts again, i have another video, hopefully you can hear it better, i come on and off the throttle. if you cant hear it you will be best off turning volume up, it can deffo be heard (best heard at very start from 23 seconds on, where i keep blipping throttle. whats weird is i cant hear it if i try replicate it in my underground carpark.

Edited by arron1995

Sorry, I can't hear anything like you describe, which leaves me guessing. Turbo air leak? Tyre noise? Slipping belt? Unless somebody comes up with a better idea I suggest you get it professionally checked.

Hello Arron,

I too am struggling to hear any ‘stray’ noises around the general noise, even with the volume turned up, although I do pick up a hint of an intermittent ‘tinkling’  noise. 
 I’m sure you will appreciate that diagnosing such issues is an almost impossible risk for the forum, and, as I see it, the best way forward in this case is to get the car road tested by your trusted local garage. 
In addition to this unhelpful response, experience has shown that even when vehicles are road tested in the company of the owner (allowable now under Covid rules?) the noises may not be heard by the mechanic. 
Perhaps you can keep the forum informed as this progresses to a resolution. 
Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth. 

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Arron,

I too am struggling to hear any ‘stray’ noises around the general noise, even with the volume turned up, although I do pick up a hint of an intermittent ‘tinkling’  noise. 
 I’m sure you will appreciate that diagnosing such issues is an almost impossible risk for the forum, and, as I see it, the best way forward in this case is to get the car road tested by your trusted local garage. 
In addition to this unhelpful response, experience has shown that even when vehicles are road tested in the company of the owner (allowable now under Covid rules?) the noises may not be heard by the mechanic. 
Perhaps you can keep the forum informed as this progresses to a resolution. 
Many thanks and kind regards,

Gareth. 

That’s the exact noise I’m talking about mate, like a tinkling/chatter, hopefully nothing serious, on another hand do any of you guys know what sort of boost levels the cr170 turbo is good for, it’s the Garrett one.

• 3 weeks later...