Can anyone help diagnose this fault pls ? Audi A4 B8 2010

Steve Candi

petrol ,diesel , automatic .

why do you have to press the clutch pedal in before inserting and turning the ignition key?

had an audi a4 avant for 19 years before it was murdered .

it was always prone to intermittent faults relating to the airbags and immobilizer.

the airbag problem was associated wth a bad connection somewhere which could be cleared by moving the seats , i did all the advised mods , but it still persisted, but it could always be cleared by jiggling the wires.

this meant it had to be a problem behind the panels.

the key problem could always be overcome with a little patience ,but for long term needed a new indution coil to be fitted.

in my opinion the coil was not at fault but the connector terminals  to it.

sorry for the woffle , it might be of use to someone lol

Hi, most of the newer Audis have this feature as well as Ford -Vauxhall and many more, its a safety feature to prevent the car starting in gear/drive and moving forward, pushing the brake pedal [automatic] or clutch pedal [manual] disengages the button on the pedal which cuts the ignition circuit.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Stephen,

If it were mine, I would be getting the battery checked as the first port of call, if only to eliminate it from a list of suspected components. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Candi said:

Yep tried all that. Iv seen in mentioned that it could be the battery on its way out

On 8/2/2021 at 7:49 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi, most of the newer Audis have this feature as well as Ford -Vauxhall and many more, its a safety feature to prevent the car starting in gear/drive and moving forward, pushing the brake pedal [automatic] or clutch pedal [manual] disengages the button on the pedal which cuts the ignition circuit.

Steve.

thanks for that info, brings me up to date .

as i am driving the A3 2l tdi auto i obviously do not have a clutch.

as a first time automatic driver i have to admit i find driving it a great pleasure.

3 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Sorry Ken, it’s probably me, but I’ve lost the logic of your first post on 2nd Aug., and this one. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

No Gareth this is what happens when someone throws in a completely random question into the middle of a thread, it blows a hole in it, its case of where were we.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

So no one new the answer to my problem....

Well here is the answer 😀, it turned out to be the clutch switch. When the old one was removed it had some sort of crystalisation going on with it. The switch was changed and iv had no trouble since 😃

• Like 1