Rattle

Link

Hi  All

i have a A3 2.0TDI 63 plate.

past week have been experiencing some strange rattle clunking noise. Sounds like it’s coming from front drivers side.

on acceleration and braking it’s none existent. However on deceleration it’s present. 

took the car to a garage they checked everything that was visible when up on the ramp. Callipers, engine mounts, springs, lower control arms etc etc

nothing loose nothing out of place.

only thing that was suggested is a potential gear box issue.

any help advise suggestions welcome.

thank you

ps hope this post is in right place apologies if it isn’t.

It's good you've had the car checked but sorry to hear you've not found anything loose under the car. Nect port of call would be to look for anything loose in.the engine bay I think. But it could be a gearbox issue 

Steve thank you for your reply.

would you know what a realistic time frame would be on getting the gearbox out?

the mechanic said 3 days to strip it out send it off have it rebuilt and put back in if it’s the case of a gearbox issue.

regards

Hello Lewis,

Personally, I wouldn’t be assuming this is a gearbox associated noise until you get more than one opinion that strongly points in that direction. 
Trying to read between the lines, it sounds as if gearbox is being taken as the (possible?) suspect since no other cause has yet been found. 
I would be casting the net of investigation further, before committing to any wallet- scaring repairs to the gearbox. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.