A4 first car.

A4rkd

Just bought my son an Audi A4 (series1) managed to find one with a full dealer service history which has been garaged her whole life.

When low Rev idling in 1st and 2nd she has a slight gearbox whine. Im hoping it’s a thrust baring. Anybody else experienced this in an older model A4?

Hello Mason,

Apologies, but I’m a bit confused by your description. If the car is making a noise when idling and in 1st or 2nd gear, then you must have the clutch depressed ?? 
Is so, and I can’t see that that can’t be the case, then it cannot be the gearbox, since that is then ‘disconnected’ by having the clutch depressed. 
Can you feel and harness or vibration through the clutch pedal? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Mason. Still can’t understand the reference to being in gear though. 
If you suspect the drive belt ( Cambelt?) tensioner then this needs looking at urgently. 
Question - does this early 1.6 actually have a belt rather than a chain? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Think it’s the alternator, belt and tensioner? Im by no means a mechanic though. It’s low frequency and hardly noticeable… so don’t think it’s anything too serious. It sailed through it’s MOT this week.

23 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Thanks Mason. Still can’t understand the reference to being in gear though. 
If you suspect the drive belt ( Cambelt?) tensioner then this needs looking at urgently. 
Question - does this early 1.6 actually have a belt rather than a chain? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Apparently it’s common. It’s my sons car and he told me it’s gearbox whine (I no longer drive due to disability) so when I’ve gotten in it and had a listen myself it’s coming from the nsf corner. Towards the back of the engine bay.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:34 PM, A4rkd said:

Just bought my son an Audi A4 (series1) managed to find one with a full dealer service history which has been garaged her whole life.

When low Rev idling in 1st and 2nd she has a slight gearbox whine. Im hoping it’s a thrust baring. Anybody else experienced this in an older model A4?

champion     

OK Mason,

If you suspect the noise is generated by the auxiliary belt or associated tensioner, then simply remove the belt as a trial to test if the noise goes away.

Kind regards,

Gareth.