Stop start fault

Phil jessop

Hi guys, i own an audi A4 avant 2016 model manual/petrol which i bought 2 years ago & very pleased with the car but just over a week ago i went to start the car & only got a a light whooshing sound from the starter motor area i had to try many times to get the car to start which it did after many attempts, some times it starts ok & does not make any difference if its hot or cold, thus morning when i tried to start the car again a whooshing sound then a high pitched screech then it started, i got the rac guy out & he plugged in his computer & it showed possible starter motor fault, he started the car ok which he done many times, i contacted my local audi garage & they said they can look at in but earliest will be early september but if you get it bought in by the rac they will look at it within 72 hours, ive tried local garages but most say fully booked for 2 weeks or more or they wont touch it, i went into euro car parts & they said they can get a starter for £154 which seems a low price as few other dealer sites the starter is over £400. Im at a loose end here in which way to proceed, any help please

1 minute ago, Phil jessop said:

Hi guys, i own an audi A4 avant 2016 model manual/petrol which i bought 2 years ago & very pleased with the car but just over a week ago i went to start the car & only got a a light whooshing sound from the starter motor area i had to try many times to get the car to start which it did after many attempts, some times it starts ok & does not make any difference if its hot or cold, thus morning when i tried to start the car again a whooshing sound then a high pitched screech then it started, i got the rac guy out & he plugged in his computer & it showed possible starter motor fault, he started the car ok which he done many times, i contacted my local audi garage & they said they can look at in but earliest will be early september but if you get it bought in by the rac they will look at it within 72 hours, ive tried local garages but most say fully booked for 2 weeks or more or they wont touch it, i went into euro car parts & they said they can get a starter for £154 which seems a low price as few other dealer sites the starter is over £400. Im at a loose end here in which way to proceed, any help please

On the dash it shows....start/stop system fault function unavailable please contact workshop..this goes out when car starts but the warning sign stays on & there is a symbol at the top of a car with an arrow 

Hello Philip,

Sorry to hear of your issue, but please do not rush out and buy a new starter motor for this car without further investigation. 
The car is 5 year old, and it’s not unusual for the battery to be sub standard at this age, if the stop/start function has been in frequent use. This would be my first port of call, and I would be getting the battery efficiency measured before doing anything else. If it does prove to be sub standard then it’s worth buying once and wisely, and investing in a Varta/Bosch replacement with at least a 4 year guarantee. You can buy mail order on line at very competitive prices. eBay is my preferred starting point, where you will find sellers such as Battery Megastore, Tayna, Plymouth Batteries etc. 
If you are eventually forced to renew the starter motor then beware - cheap is usually cheap, and personally, I would not be buying one made made too far east of the Thames estuary from ECP and the likes. You are likely to get what you pay for. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.