A3 8P Cuts out WHILE driving

Quattro8

Hi all, i have a really strange problem with my a3 2011 2.0tdi that's developed over the last few months. I first noticed an issue when driving the car a couple of months ago and the car felt like it was labouring/choking as if i was in the wrong gear. However dropping down a gear seemed to fix the issue. The second time this happened i was on a busy round about and the car choked/juddered and then the car completely shut down (no warning lights on dash, nothing). The start stop on the car managed to get it going again (this was around a month ago). Then yesterday in 3rd gear the car did the same thing but this time would not start up again. The car would crank but not start. My local garage are unable to book me in as they are so busy but said it definitely sounds like a fuelling issue.

When checking the car at home for any obvious signs i checked the battery and gave it a boost as it seemed low and on the dash of the car displayed was 'ESP fault please see owners manual'. Then took the battery from my dads Skoda Octavia (same engine) and the car started up perfectly first time. Upon checking my battery it was a Yuasa 3000 NOT designed for start stop vehicles such as mine and has been on the car 3 years.

What's throwing me off completely is even when i had broken down yesterday i had no lights on the dash board indicating a fault and also is it really possible for a bad battery to cause the car to break down while actually driving it? (as i assumed it would be being charged). A new correct battery is on its way today so im hoping it was just a battery issue.

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this one,

Cheers,

BP

Thanks for the swift response ! Yeah it was very unusual, I had all sorts of warnings being thrown up about oil pressure, ESP, ABS ect.  New Bosch battery should arrive today so hopefully that cures the problem!

Hello Branden,

Was the Yuasa battery an AGM battery?
Is the recommended battery for your car an AGM type?

Failure to use an AGM battery where specified can cause longer term issues with the ‘intelligent’ charging system. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,  I'm 99% sure The old Yuasa battery was not an AGM battery  (will check and confirm once home).

When referring to the 'intelligent charging system' is that referring to the old battery being damaged as it wasn't compatible?

Kind regards,

BP

1 hour ago, Quattro8 said:

Thanks for the swift response ! Yeah it was very unusual, I had all sorts of warnings being thrown up about oil pressure, ESP, ABS ect.  New Bosch battery should arrive today so hopefully that cures the problem!

Please do let us know the outcome.

Thanks Branden, 

Um. So now we most definitely need to know if the original equipment battery was specified as being an AGM. 

What have you ordered as a Bosch? Have you taken advice on the correct battery type ( as apposed to just Ah and cold current capabilities)? 

As I understood it - still applies? - AGM batteries were specified where the vehicle was equipped with an ‘intelligent charging system’ , and failure to use this type could/can result in adverse affects on the charging system, so it may not be so important that you damage a wrong battery, but more to do with damaging the charging system. 
I think it’s well worth doing some homework on what is actually required here, and what you have ordered. 

Where did you order from as a matter of interest, and did they confirm correct fitment via, your registration number? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

The replacement I've ordered is a Bosch S5A08 from batterymegastore.co.uk

When ordering I entered the registration and was then given the option 'does your car have a start stop system' to which I selected yes, all the results then came back as AGM batteries.

In the vehicle handbook it states 'your vehicle is equipped with an intelligent power system to control the distribution of electrical energy.  It also states vehicles with e.g start stop system are equipped with a special deep cycle battery (AGM type). The on board electronic systems may develop problems if you fit a different type of battery.

So hopefully, the problems have been down to the old battery not being compatible?

Kind regards,

BP

*UPDATE*

New battery just arrived and fitted to the car, car started no problem first try with ESP light still showing and power steering light on, both cleared within 30 seconds of driving. Have stopped the car and restarted it and no lights on the dash and car seems to be running ok!

Hello Branden,

Well done. Let’s hope the ‘intelligent’ charging system doesn’t fail its exams. Sure it won’t, but just keep in touch if anything else misbehaves. 
Good choice of battery by the way. I’ve also dealt with Battery Megastore a number of times, and found them to be reasonable on the one occasion things went a little wrong. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.