Brake pads and disks

dnorthstar1970

Hi have a look on eBay or try Brake Depot, it is impossible to buy sub standard brakes since the advent of E11/EC90 regulation test, if the manufacturers don't meet these exacting standards, IE the same as O.E. or better than O.E. they are not allowed to sell their products in the UK or EU.

Steve.

Have to agree with stevey y, there's standards manufactureres have to meet or exceed, I have just replaced mine with KINETIX DRILLED COATED BRAKE DISCS, and red stuff pads, big difference, very pleased.

• Like 1

Hello Darren,

Not wanting to reintroduce the debate on specifications, and manufacturers having to satisfy the minimum (in caps) requirements of these specifications, the only additional comment I can make in terms of your particular circumstances is that you say that you don’t need anything ‘fancy’, since your performance car only covers 2K miles a year. I may have got this wrong, but low mileage normally equates to short local trips, rather than long runs at very infrequent intervals. 
If indeed your car is used for short local journeys, then you are going to encounter more stops/starts than a vehicle which covers greater mileages on open roads, and you are likely to be more dependent on your brakes. 
I can understand cost may influence your choice, but I would always recommend spending once and wisely. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi, like Orac stated big difference but probably still less than Audi want for what is laughingly referred to as O.E. I can't really understand why all these disc manufacturers present their product to MIRA at no small expense for testing if the tests are flawed, the rules are they have to meet or exceed the specifications of the originally fitted units, there is no grey area, they either meet or exceed or no pass is applied, according to the other theory if the short journey with frequent stopping is applied it wouldn't matter what you bought they would wear the same which rather negates the extra value in buying Audi discs, but as this is a delusion because all the discs are tested the same way and I am sure they won't have forgotten to factor in the town driving scenario.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 6:39 PM, Magnet said:

‘…not much choice and all about the same price…’ Where are you looking Darren? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

not the same places I look at, lots of choice ,good prices ,and very good quality.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, orac said:

not the same places I look at, lots of choice ,good prices ,and very good quality.

Hi maybe you could give the guy some pointers, sometimes its hard if you have no idea where to look, glad you are pleased with your Kinetex set up, I was well impressed with mine even though I am running Don pads being as its a cab and I don't need to stand it on its nose very often but even with standard pads it will do it if I need it, not bad if you consider that they were half the price of the Audi discs/pads and I do about 700 miles a week had them on over two months and no signs of premature wear.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hello Darren,

well first of all any rs4 is no cheap to keep on the road, especially the brakes or engine, maintenance is going to be expensive, but the first place I would look would be the  7 ZAP site, thats the same site audi use, there you will find the original part numbers, just enter your details, from there with the part numbers search the sites, ie  (auto doc) to find and compare prices, I found my kinetic discs at (atozwakefield) they have a site on eBay, prices are good, if you can't find what you want send them a message, I did and I also got a better deal. There are lots of choices from other places, when you have the right part numbers from the 7 zap site, just search the net as I do, have fun siting on the laptop for hours as I did, good luck.

Edited by orac
add more info