2013 A6 Headlight Bulbs

andrew mckee

Hi, looking advice, I am wanting to change my headlight bulbs in my A6 as the factory fitted ones are just not good. The light given out by them is bad to say the least. Could anyone advise if it is worth changing to LED ? I thought i could just change the bulbs but have been advised that it isnt just as simple as that as adaption kits are required. Has anyone undertaken this upgrade as any advice would be most appreciated.

thanks

andrew

Yep it's not just a case of changing to led as led bulbs draw a different level of electricity. If you fit them your car will tell you you've got a bulb out when you haven't. My advice is just to fit brighter standard bulbs but buy them from a trusted retailer so that they're road worthy. 

• Like 1

Hi check your model but I am almost certain yours uses D3S xenon bulbs if you look on eBay the choice is staggering, the standard bulb are normally Phillips or Osram with a rating of 4300k you need to go to 5500-6000k bulbs to get a better light if you go beyond that they are to blue and will get the local plod interested, 6000k is almost daylight, the higher kelvin rating is just the light output the bulbs won't draw anymore wattage or cause faulty lighting issues on the dashboard as the body control module will recognise the new bulbs as long as the wattage remains the same as original.

Try HIDs 4u or the best one is Valley lighting they will talk you through the options you have once you know what type of bulbs you have, installation is fairly straight forward if not a little fiddly, access is via the inspection ports in the wheel arch liner, plenty of youtube videos on the subject, LEDs are not that good as they tend to look much brighter but have no visible benefit in light output [Range] also with the higher end units require a can bus ballast plus you have the cooling units on the back which make the bulbs longer so you can't get the bulb cover back on, not a win win for no other benefit than aesthetics. 

IMG_20210320_133456_resized_20210403_113731742.jpg