Buying a Mark 2 facelift TT 1.8 tfsi and oil consumption

esky365

This is the only real hindrance I can find to buying one of these cars. The advice I can find says it should not be using more than 0.2litres of oil per 1000km. 

Is there a way to assess this when I go to look at the car?

Anything else I should particularly look for?

It is a low mileage, about 30,000, and is 2014

I don't suppose there is any way to tell if the timing chain is stretched other than rattling?

Edited by esky365

6 hours ago, esky365 said:

This is the only real hindrance I can find to buying one of these cars. The advice I can find says it should not be using more than 0.2litres of oil per 1000km. 

Is there a way to assess this when I go to look at the car?

Anything else I should particularly look for?

It is a low mileage, about 30,000, and is 2014

I don't suppose there is any way to tell if the timing chain is stretched other than rattling?

Highly unlikely that the timing chain would stretch with that milage unlike cam belts chains don't suffer with age related change intervals, as for the oil consumption you will only find out what your chosen vehicles is after you buy it unfortunately, a good indicator would be service history as even the most basic garage knows the importance of low SAPS oil.

Steve.

• Like 1

I don't think TT engines were as susceptible to the major problem of dodgy piston seals. Have read here and maybe do some googling on the TT engine type

http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar.com/audi-engine-oil-consumption-correction/

Engine codes CAEB, CDNC and CNDC were tv he main offenders. 

But as mentioned by you and on other threads here - the petrol engines are *designed* to consume oil. 

I think it is a trade off for cost of build v tolerance in the moving parts. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shytot said:

I don't think TT engines were as susceptible to the major problem of dodgy piston seals. Have read here and maybe do some googling on the TT engine type

http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar.com/audi-engine-oil-consumption-correction/

Engine codes CAEB, CDNC and CNDC were tv he main offenders. 

But as mentioned by you and on other threads here - the petrol engines are *designed* to consume oil. 

I think it is a trade off for cost of build v tolerance in the moving parts. 

Hi the trade off was for the escalating emissions targets, the loose engines as termed were produced as a looser fitting piston does not create as much friction as the conventional tight bore, less friction creates less emissions as it reduces the heat inside the bores thus cutting back on C02, every engineering principle for engines is that they run better when very hot but this has the side effect of raising emissions, Ford almost got round it with the CVH lean burn engine this ran hot but because of the lesser fuel charge it produced less emissions but unfortunately the oil technology at the time let it down.

All modern petrol engines burn a little oil its part of the price we pay for driving new off the forecourt and thrashing it a couple of days later which further down the food chain won't help the second hand buyer.

Steve.

• Like 2

Don't worry about a lack of CO2 Boris and Extinction Rebellion exhale more than enough to keep the trees happy, no I would worry more about the methane levels rising from all the brown stuff they spout.

Steve.

• Like 1