Both S6 Key Fobs Stopped Working

DarrenW

Hi, I wondered if anyone has had a similar problem to what I’ve encountered today on my 2008 S6. 
All was fine yesterday, but I noticed that my spare key fob was flashing this morning so I thought I’d try it on the car to see if it still worked. It didn’t, but worse still, my primary one stopped working too. I’ve replaced the batteries in both and tried every technique I could find online to reset them, but all to no avail. 
I did think maybe a fuse had blown, but I checked and all was good. 
I then thought maybe the central locking had given up, but got to the point that i could manually lock and unlock the car and the alarm seemed to set. 
But pressing any button on either fob would just ‘break’ everything again. 
I also noticed that when I pressed a button on the primary fob it emitted a long series of very fast flashes, but I couldn’t find any reference to that online. So I’m at a bit of a loss as to what’s failed.
Both keys still start the car. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks, Darren

Might be worth getting a diagnostic check carried out. You've done a good job so far to rule out certain things. It could be a module or remote central locking receiver that's failed. With the issues I've had with my central locking I had to get an auto electrician to take a look. 

5 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Might be worth getting a diagnostic check carried out. You've done a good job so far to rule out certain things. It could be a module or remote central locking receiver that's failed. With the issues I've had with my central locking I had to get an auto electrician to take a look. 

Thanks. I’ll run it round to my local guy when I get a chance, as I’m trying to avoid a trip to Audi if at all possible. 

On 9/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, Steve Q said:

*Update*  hopefully now resolved 

I had to go away for a week and managed to manually lock the car before leaving. However, whilst away a neighbour contacted me to say the alarm was going off, although it wasn’t constant nor too loud, so no need to rush back. 

I got back today and intended to run the car round to a local garage, but the battery was completely flat, totally drained. 

I managed to jump start it (easier said that done with a 5.2 v10) and thought I’d just try the reprogramming sequence again (one key in the ignition, the other in the door). But the car lights didn’t flash nor the alarm set as it was meant to, so I figured it still wasn’t working. 

I then removed all the keys and thought I’d just press the main key buttons again and hey presto, it all worked. The alarm set and the doors all locked and unlocked as they should. I decided not to even try the second key though, as that was where all my troubles started. 

So, should you be in a similar situation and the key reprogramming method doesn’t  work, try disconnecting the car battery, as I assume that resets everything. 

My battery is now on charge which I expect will take a good 24 hours and I’m keeping everything crossed that the problem doesn’t return.