2.0 Tdi Cold stuttering - Ideas or solutions please!

greysquirrel

I have a 2.0 Tdi (CFFB engine) and recently it has started stuttering or missing slightly form cold. It's like a cough, it feels low on power and happens at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Once it has warmed up and I've put my foot down a bit, it seems to go away.

The stutter is accompanied by a rhythmic sound, not loud, but it almost sounds like something rubbing.

Car has done 89k, full service history. I've had it from 65k. Recently had a new fuel filter (it was doing it before this was changed). No fault codes, and none pending.

Anyone with similiar problems or suggestions as to where to start looking. It's by no-means undriveable, but it's annoying and clearly something is not right.

18 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi, could be the glow plugs are beginning to fail this won't throw up any codes when they are weak but will let you have a light or a code when not operating.

Steve.

That sort of makes sense, but where is the rubbing noise coming from?

Hi that could be an ancillary drive belt slipping where the engine is struggling worth checking the condition of the belt and tensioner as most people tend to forget about this item until it breaks, the belt is supposed to be changed every 30k or two years, I digress if you cure the rough cold start I have a feeling the rubbing noise will go with it provided there is nothing wrong with the belt cracking on the running ribs etc.

Steve.

• Thanks 1