New car and a fault that is getting to me

NathanR

Hi All! New Audi owner here and so far loving the car. The quality feels amazing and just love the car... but have one issue that is puzzling me and would like to ask a bit of help with. when I brought the car 2 weeks ago it had a multitude of problems I have worked through with OBDeleven and sorted out reasonably easy but I have one which is eluding me. Normal driving is fine but if you floor it hard and the turbo boosts the car stumbles  (Mainly in second but does happen in third gear)if you feed the power in all is okay and I have replicated this many times. I get the following codes in OBDeleven 

OBDeleven data log

Date: 2021-09-11 15:26

VIN: WAUZZZ8EX8A006246
Car: Audi A4
Year: 2008
Body type: Saloon
Mileage: 206460 KM

---------------------------------------------------------------
01 Engine

System description: R4 2.0l PPD1.3 G
Software number: 03G906018AQ
Software version: 9973
Hardware number: 03G906018AQ
Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Coding: 0000172

Trouble codes:
P3007 - Camshaft Position Sensor No signal Short circuit to B+
static

OBDeleven data log

Date: 2021-09-10 15:49

VIN: WAUZZZ8EX8A006246
Car: Audi A4
Year: 2008
Body type: Saloon
Mileage: 206390 KM

---------------------------------------------------------------
01 Engine

System description: R4 2.0l PPD1.3 G
Software number: 03G906018AQ
Software version: 9973
Hardware number: 03G906018AQ
Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Coding: 0000172

Trouble codes:
P3008 - Camshaft Position Sensor Signal outside tolerance Short circuit to ground
Intermittent

To be clear each code was generated and then cleared so it was a new iteration after each time the car was floored. I have this theory, It may be flawed but I suspect flooring it is enough for the engine to flex the mounts and travel enough break the loom temporarily and cut power. I have had a good as possible look at the loom from the camshaft sensor to the socket near the oil filter and then it disappears into god knows where... I suspect a point in the loom is either shorting or going open circuit with a sudden engine movement. however I cant find anything anywhere that leads to a weak point in the a4.... hence the "theory" It really is a lovely car to drive overall, I would just love to fix this last issue. any help gratefully appreciated.

Best Regards

Nathan

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately it was a private sale so little or no recourse. However things have moved on today.... for the worst I may add. i took the car out for a ride today with the aim of initiating a DPF cycle but half way around I noticed a weird noise and bizarrely the car was taking off like a rocket... to the point I was thinking that it would be a pain in the a** driving in town. 20 mins later I stopped at the shops and when I came out it wouldn't start! I sat for ten mins then turned it over pumping the accelerator and after about 5 seconds she fired up, Idled perfect and drove like a daemon but with this hideous scraping noise. I got home and lifted the bonnet and found the noise was coming from the cam belt inspection cover. Took it off and found the belt so loose it was scraping against the cover and skipping teeth on the exhaust side. The cam belt and water pump was changed in august and I suspect it was cowboy job, they have been contacted and agreed to change everything due to my evidence but we are now haggling transport costs being some 26 miles away... Have a look at the video... I consider myself very lucky... https://youtu.be/ij20sTbxd8g

22 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Can't help with the specific problems but if you bought it from a dealer then you are entitled to a full refund up to 30 days from sale. 

Also I love the car, I so want to keep her... when running right she is a dream to drive. Its like driving an armchair that instantly turns into a monster that handles Impeccably. I can drive it as a steady economic comfortable daily drive but also have an exhilarating fire breathing weakened warrior.

Despite being a pain in the bottom to work on I have loved every minute of it lol. Determined to keep her running.

That's shocking. Sounds like the previous owner skimpt on servicing. They shouldn't be haggling on transport in my opinion a you can report them. Get them to look at Shipley. It allows transport companies to bid for the job. I've had so e cracking deals on there transporting cars before. 

Hi Guys, car was picked up last night at cost of the old owner. i tried shipley and the best quote was £107 for the 26mile journey...(£4+ per mile I am changing profession) i didn't see why I should pay that so got a bit a bit aggro with the trader. he tried to get me to pay £60 for his guys to pick the car up which i didn't think was fair. It was all going downhill until I mentioned I own two security dogs that are worked each weekend on industrial estates. Suddenly things changed.. My van is out of action as I have a bit of welding to do and they have an a4 with lots of chew marks and hair which probably helped. outcome, they picked the car up FOC and fixing it FOC. I still dont trust them though so probably going to get a compression test done and if needs be do a bit of head work just to be safe. Am documenting everything just in case https://studio.youtube.com/video/Bp9xleFOUNU/edit

Funny that they pulled up and called former owner to get me out... they wouldn't come near the house because of the dogs lol. what make me laugh with me being calm they will lick you and roll over. they were in more danger of the cranky bugger at number 1 moaning about the noise