A3 front suspension creak

Spock

2012 Audi A3 8P1 front suspension creek . I bought the car around 6 months ago and on the whole very pleased with the car . When I bought the car it had been lowered and I would normally not entertain a car like this but it had been very well looked after and drove superb (2.0 TDI sport). I returned the car to factory spec and replaced the suspension . Front -new shocks , springs , top mounts and bearings , drop links plus rear lower control arm bushings . Rear - shocks , springs and mounts . I’ve checked the front ball joints and tie rod ends and no play in those but every time I go over a speed bump or pull on/off my drive there is a creak from the front drivers side . The only thing I haven’t checked are the front anti roll bar d bushes ??? Anyone else experienced this ? Drives in a straight line and the steering is very responsive . Thanks

Hi, I think it could well be the roll bar bar bushes as the ride height for the bushes is set at the factory in the centre of where the up and down movement, arc occurs, by lowering the car you change the dynamics of the arc and if you consider that the bushes are clamped so the bar is gripped at the optimum point to allow the bush to flex within given movement parameters whilst still gripping the bar without moving on the bar, try giving the bush that side a liberal hosing down with WD40 or similar if it stops squeaking new bushes it is.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply . It’s back at standard ride height now but could have been damaged by being lowered in the past . I’ll give it a good soak and report back.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello Andy,

Apologies for jumping in on Steve’s reply - if WD40 does easy the issue and, and the bushes are still sound, then a more permanent cure might be to dose them in ATF fluid after the application of WD40.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Well it had a good soak and still the same . There is a small amount of movement in the anti roll bar bush . Is it a new bar or replacement bushes ? I’m not convinced it’s coming from the ARB though . Still sounds high up like a strut mount ! I’ve replaced both but I’m beginning to wonder if I have a defect part . Any easy way to check the mount ? I know they are a pig to change ! Cheers 

Cheers Cliff, I fitted the suspension myself and I’m happy it’s seated correctly . I think it may be a defective mount 🙈

Hi Cliff ,

I have but now I’m wondering if it is a defect part . I don’t know the brand but in hindsight knowing the amount of work involved I wish that I had gone for genuine parts !! 2 hrs of grief to swap 🤣

2 hours ago, Spock said:

Hi Cliff ,

I have but now I’m wondering if it is a defect part . I don’t know the brand but in hindsight knowing the amount of work involved I wish that I had gone for genuine parts !! 2 hrs of grief to swap 🤣

Hi Any wear in the anti roll bar bushes can cause a noise I sort of doubted the top mount unit unit I had a look at one and the bearing is integral so it is possible thats it but they normally clunk or grind when turning the steering in view of the very low cost and fitting time I would try the ARB bushes first and as for the bearings they are made by Febi so unless you went for the real cheap option I can't see that being the problem, so if you buy O.E. Mounts you would be paying more for the same item in an Audi box.

Steve.  

Update : I went with my gut instinct and replaced the top strut mount . Went with Febi and to be honest it looked identical to the one I replaced it with. All sorted and quiet 👍👍👍 result ! Thanks all

PS I couldn’t see anything wrong with bearing . Could have been a seating issue 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Febi off , Febi on 🤷‍♂️ Either a seating issue or a dodge Febi part . We will never know . Just glad that horrible creak has gone 😊

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Update : I went with my gut instinct and replaced the top strut mount . Went with Febi and to be honest it looked identical to the one I replaced it with. All sorted and quiet 👍👍👍 result ! Thanks all

PS I couldn’t see anything wrong with bearing . Could have been a seating issue 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Hi Febi supply the mounts and a shed load of other parts as O.E., I found that out when I bought my oil level sensor, Audi wanted nearly £200 with the VAT so I bought a Febi sensor from my local spares shop for £67 and guess what the Febi item was exactly the same except someone had ground the VAG/Audi logos off of the casing, the only thing left was all the casting numbers which matched perfectly, the guy at the spares place told me they do it all the time as they are not allowed to sell O.E. marked parts in their packaging, so if you want to buy a badge engineered part in the right box for twice the price +, knock yourself out.

Steve.

IMG_20210816_121609_resized_20210816_065737645.jpg

• Like 1

Part numbers and marking’s identical ! £17 delivered for mount , bearing , bolts and locking nut . Febi Bargain 👍👍

Edited by Spock
  • Like 1