Level sensor - no specific fault

ThomasG

Just when I thought I'd coughed up enough for the car this month...

I have been having headlight etc stuff from a failed level sensor - however, the scan doesn't show which one - so - I bought 4 and the garage has kindly replaced them all. However, the error is still in the memory and the car has sunk at the front!

We are at a bit of a loss - they are going to clean up the old sensors and put them back on to see if it sorts out the level. But if not - it may be genuine audi parts are needed...(!!!! £££££££). Before then - any one got any ideas?

5 hours ago, ThomasG said:

Just when I thought I'd coughed up enough for the car this month...

I have been having headlight etc stuff from a failed level sensor - however, the scan doesn't show which one - so - I bought 4 and the garage has kindly replaced them all. However, the error is still in the memory and the car has sunk at the front!

We are at a bit of a loss - they are going to clean up the old sensors and put them back on to see if it sorts out the level. But if not - it may be genuine audi parts are needed...(!!!! £££££££). Before then - any one got any ideas?

Hi Thomas I doubt the sensors from Audi are any different from the sensors you bought, sounds more like a wiring fault.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Thomas, just a thought do the sensors need coding, just about everything else on these cars needs it.

Steve.

No, I replaced one last year and all was fine. I do have to say that a lot of these problems always seem to happen after wheel hub/bearing changes. I will go and see the garage tomorrow and ask them to check loom first.
Mind-you if it doesn't rise back to its original position...

!Removed! cars eh?

A mate had issues with his A7 air suspension after having a towbar fitted. Have you had the system reset / calibrated on a near perfect level surface? It seems to be a bit of a black art getting it set back up right but when plumb should not give you any further trouble.

On 10/11/2021 at 7:59 AM, Envy said:

A mate had issues with his A7 air suspension after having a towbar fitted. Have you had the system reset / calibrated on a near perfect level surface? It seems to be a bit of a black art getting it set back up right but when plumb should not give you any further trouble.

No, they've not calibrated it. I'll see if they can do that, though it's not something they should need to do. But they are a good garage, and it's the place I bought i from, so there's the issue of losing face etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to this.

I've spoken with a couple of friends who work on Audi's. They are at a loss. However, I went to look at the car today, and drove it to a flat area in the garage back. I plugged in the ODBEleven and looked for live data from the sensors.

Now, the front left shows a 10 inch discrepancy in height (yes I know inches!!). And the air suspension lock for changing tyres is ON. I cannot get it to move up and down, so the car obviously thinks it's off the ground and has locked the air suspension. So, I've asked them to put the old one back on and see if it levels at least.

Then - back to the drawing board...

It could still be the wiring loom too...it's on the side where another garage changed the caliper...

But any ideas?

Hi Thomas it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they disturbed something when changing the calliper, at least it gives you a point of reference on where to start looking at the wiring.

Steve.