A3 8p front wipers not working

Mob

Hi guys. Hope someone here will be able to help me out. So my front wipers are not working, purchased the car like this. I have read about the bonnet switch etc. How do I go about diagnosing the fault? Is there a way to bypass the bonnet switch?

If you bought the car from a dealer, take it back. Defective wipers are an MOT failure and therefore illegally sold to you and illegal to use on the road.

If you are determined to fix the wipers yourself the first thing to check is the fuse.

Hello Mo,

Sorry to hear of your issue. 
Before advising, are you armed with the necessary test meter, and an understanding of modern car electrics? 
I not, I would strongly advise that you buy in half an hour’s labour with a trusted local electricians. 
By passing switches (rather than replacing them) - if at fault -  would not be the recommended way forward. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:29 AM, Magnet said:

Hello Mo,

Sorry to hear of your issue. 
Before advising, are you armed with the necessary test meter, and an understanding of modern car electrics? 
I not, I would strongly advise that you buy in half an hour’s labour with a trusted local electricians. 
By passing switches (rather than replacing them) - if at fault -  would not be the recommended way forward. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

I do have a multimeter on hand

Thanks Mo,

I fear that if you are thinking about bypassing switches then you are really talking bodging ( with all due disrespect for the ancient craft of bodging!). The proper way around this is to isolate the cause, and this is why I would suggest investing in a little time with an experienced auto electrician. Playing about with modern car electrics can lead to trouble. 
You say you bought the car with this known fault, so I guess the price was adjusted accordingly, so worth a little of the savings? 
Couple of afterthoughts:- does the current wiper motor give any indication of being refitted or not being the original build one? If it is a replacement, it might need recoding to the car. Second possibility - the stalks can be problematic. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 6 months later...

Hi... Did you fix your wipers?....have same issue... Were working now not.... Fuse was warm but not blown... So removed and changed motor,new fuse secondhand motor still nothing, no clicking or wering... Tested new ish motor and old, both work perfectly out of car....... HELP... REGARDS martin

Hello Martin, 

The original poster joined and last visited the forum within 3 days of joining, and never returned to advise on any fix. 
You could try sending him a PM to see if he replies to you. 
As with the OP, it is often far more cost effective give to buy an half hour with an autoelectrician, than it is to buy parts in the assumption a particular component is at fault -in your case it could be the switch is faulty. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Martin. 

Hello Edward, 

Sorry, not understanding the need for your post. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Wipers won't work if the car thinks the bonnet is up. Common on the mk5 golf (electrically same as A3) and it's the bonnet switch on the catch that packs up the best way to test it is to disconnect it at the plug near the top of the rad area left hand side as you look at it with that disconnected it puts then into failsafe then you can use them hope that helps. 

Alternatively the workers in the back of the fusebox in the engine bay can become loose too. 

Hi all. Unfortunately I have not resolved the issue with the wipers. I am rebuilding my engine currently and will get another Audi Mac to give it a try

8 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Martin, 

The original poster joined and last visited the forum within 3 days of joining, and never returned to advise on any fix. 
You could try sending him a PM to see if he replies to you. 
As with the OP, it is often far more cost effective give to buy an half hour with an autoelectrician, than it is to buy parts in the assumption a particular component is at fault -in your case it could be the switch is faulty. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Martin. 

Hello Edward, 

Sorry, not understanding the need for your post. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Sorry don't what I did here did put my wipers don't work if my bonnet is up or open 

7 hours ago, Teddynewson said:

Sorry don't what I did here did put my wipers don't work if my bonnet is up or open 

I can only assume the wipers don't work if the bonnet is open as the wipers must foul on the edge of the bonnet. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2022 at 12:18 PM, Martin richardson said:

Hi... Did you fix your wipers?....have same issue... Were working now not.... Fuse was warm but not blown... So removed and changed motor,new fuse secondhand motor still nothing, no clicking or wering... Tested new ish motor and old, both work perfectly out of car....... HELP... REGARDS martin

On 5/15/2022 at 2:11 PM, Teddynewson said:

Hi... After Weeks of intermittent testing... Changing.. Swapping... It was the wiper motor itself... Very confusing... Would work out of car, but not plugged into loom... Thought there was a fault with loom, but after testing every poss cause.. I. E stalk... Bonnet catch switch... Wiper motor.... Fuses... Relays... Nothing made sence.... So bought a new motor and fitted it, still works perfectly with no issues 6 weeks later👍.... If you put power to old wiper motor it works 'off' the car... But put it back on the  car  and it won't work??.... Martin