Weird knocking/creaking sound when turning

byRazh

Hi, new here! Might be a long one hehe. I got a "weird" problem with my -09 S3 manual transmission.

If I turn right in neutral, low speed, with more or less full steering angle, this sound appears (https://imgur.com/a/A4ET08K), ie a more "knocking" sound. If I have any gear in, and drive at low speed, with more or less full steering angle, with even gas, no sound appears. As soon as I release the gas, there will be a more "creaking" sound (https://imgur.com/a/t8HHiLY). But if I have any gear in and press down the clutch, there is no sound. No matter what, no sound appears if I have the clutch depressed and turn right with more or less full steering angle.

Now if I turn left. In neutral, it sounds nothing. If I have any gear in, with even gas, no sound appears but as soon as I release the gas the same "creaking" sound appears, as turning right. If I press the clutch down, it is completely silent no matter what, same as right.

I have been at 3 different workshops but no one dares point a finger at what it could be. One guessed throw out bearing and one guessed its a bearing inside the transmission that is faulty and suggested to replace the whole transmission...

I have changed the right CV-joint, front springs and both top mounts.

Maybe someone in here has had the same problem?
Any guess on what it could be?

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Hello Adde.

Those noises are typical of worn CV joints. You wrote that you have changed one joint, but are you aware that each drive shaft has two CV joints? I suggest you renew the other three.

Hi, thanks for answer! Im fully aware that each drive shaft has two cv joints. But if it is a cv joint the sound should not disappear when Im pressing the clutch down or having even gas, if Im not mistaken? 

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi could be drop links or ARB bushes.

Steve.

Hi, thanks for answer! Suspension and everyting around that have been checked with no faults.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, byRazh said:

But if it is a cv joint the sound should not disappear when Im pressing the clutch down or having even gas, if Im not mistaken? 

The knocking will always be less, or even non-existent, when the clutch is depressed because no power is being transmitted through the joint. You can test the joints by gripping a drive shaft in self locking grips and violently trying to twist it back and forth. Any movement or noise at the joint demonstrates it is worn. Do it with the wheel on the ground and the gearbox in neutral to test the outer joint; do it with the wheel in the air and a gear selected to test the inner joint.

5 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

The knocking will always be less, or even non-existent, when the clutch is depressed because no power is being transmitted through the joint. You can test the joints by gripping a drive shaft in self locking grips and violently trying to twist it back and forth. Any movement or noise at the joint demonstrates it is worn. Do it with the wheel on the ground and the gearbox in neutral to test the outer joint; do it with the wheel in the air and a gear selected to test the inner joint.

Actually didnt think of that. But based on that, why does the joint not make any sound when I add more throttle? As that is a typical symptom for a bad joint?

Thanks for the instructions! Will try and test before the snow comes...