Fan has drained battery as has been running on and off for hours since stopping car

Daffas

My daughters car must hate going away... 

Today I was at hers and she said the wind is making my car fan sound like it's running.  Unfortunately the fan was running inspire the car had been switched off for two hours. On lifting the bonnet the fan was by then off but a clicking sound could be heard and then the fan burst into life . Needless to say the battery is  flat  enough for the car not to start. I've told her to disconnect battery. This will not solve problem so once the battery has been charged or jump started , what can we do then? She needs to visit her sick father 200 miles away.  Is there a way to disconnect fan or would the car just overheat anyway.  Or can she get away with disconnecting battery every time she stops? I imagine whatever part is needed it won't available in time for her trip in 2 days time 

We have jump started the car and disconnected the fan fuse whilst it is outside the home . There was  a small amount water in the the relay box . The car is going into a garage tomorrow.  Thanks for answer . 

• 4 weeks later...

Mine done this exactly the same mime was the relay in the ecu box i cant remember the number maybe 219 soon as checked that it worked. But i sprayed in the box some wd40 contact cleaner first then fitted new relay. 🙂

Just now, Dales85 said:

Mine done this exactly the same mime was the relay in the ecu box i cant remember the number maybe 219 soon as checked that it worked. But i sprayed in the box some wd40 contact cleaner first then fitted new relay. 🙂

Also i drilled out holes in the bottoms of my ecu box and that took care of the water in there.